What are you cooking October.

• Well, it i now October, so I think a new thread is needed again......see what happens when Gumb goes away.

Trust this is ok with the brains trust.

Usual rules as C & P from one of Gumb's posts.

Remember.......3 pics MAX per post else they get the red button. And one post per cook.

Simples.

+++++Not sure how to pin this though!

I have nothing to post ATM..... :mad as: bloody oxygen tubes.

Ziggy Trpl. ....Z Grill 700E and the New MINI.....Aldi & Camp Chef Gassers... Camp Chef cast iron.....Thermoworks Smoke.

• How many grams was your dough ball and about what hydration was the dough?

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation"

• How many grams was your dough ball and about what hydration was the dough?

I hadn't measured the weight but I would guess around 230-250g.

75% hydration cold fermented for 3 days.

I used 1kg flour, 750ml water and made around 7-8 balls aiming for around 10inch pizzas.

• Nice. What were they cooked in ?

Hrm.

Did a salt, pepper, garlic and ginger dry brine overnight.

1 hour 45 minutes at 150C kamado, then foil boat for one more hour.

Then I diluted sweet baby rays with some apple cider vinegar, brushed it on both sides and gave it a few minutes to tack up (while increasing the the temp for the duck).

Duck went on at 210C while we ate ribs and took an hour.

Not an ideal combination but we had to eat them so...

• Not quite BBQ, but the filling was.

Leftover charcoal chook.

I bought a cheap pie maker off eBay.

First attempt at using it.

Very impressed.

Next time I’ll load them up a bit more, I was worried about using too much filling.

I can see this thing getting a workout!

So much potential!

• 2 kgs Boerewors (this one was 'Sosatie', has a chutney/curry flavour).

Ive had this behemoth in the freezer for a while, waiting for an occasion where I had enough people round to get through it. Cooked in the Weber over a blend of briquettes and lump.

Served on top of Chakalaka (that stuff is amazing, even without the sausage) and some polenta chips.

A bugger of a thing to flip, but well worth it!

Homemade Ugly Drum - Weber Go Anywhere - Hark Texas Pro Offset - Weber Kettle x2 - Weber BabyQ - WeberQ3200 - Fire Pits - Rotisserie

• I made some jerky in the GMG.

I've never really eaten jerky before, but when I have I enjoyed it.

Mostly I just wanted to try cooking things at an especially low temperature (150F/65C).

The GMG burns a little hot but otherwise performs well.

Anyway, the jerky is quite nice. The marinade was just soy, sugar, worcester, paprika, hot paprika, apple cider vinegar.. I think next time I'll ditch the worcester as it's not my fave.

• That is good lookin jerky!

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation"

• Just got home from ‘paddock beers’ (beers off the side of the road on the way home from work before R&R)

The Mrs and her sister had a Thai feed ready for me to soak up the beers.

Of course, I cracked another one to go with it!

A version of Miang Kham, it was spicy and it was good!

• Ducks tonight, got the veggies cooking in the duck fat. Families favourite roast.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!