GMG Jerky

• Anyone with experience care to help a lad out? I know I'll use Eye round as my meat, but that's all I got... Recipes and time/temp suggestions please...

Ziggy Twin Burner - GMG Daniel Boone - Hibachi

• I use topside roast and use this recipe that I got of T Roy’s YouTube channel.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• I would get some Cure#1 in what ever recipe you use!

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation"

• Lots of ideas and methods on the google... How long does it normally take? I've read 2-3 hours, 6-8 hours :/ and just now 12-15 hours...

• The time will depend on how dry/pliable you like the meat. Take a piece out every so often, let it cool and try it.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation"

• I just did some! I'm a complete newbie so I was happy to experiment.

I bought a standard topside roast and trimmed it, then sliced with the grain.

For the cooking, I just left the temp at 150/65 and kept it going until I had some good colouring and dryness. My thermocouple said the GMG was actually more like 80C. It probably took about 6 hours but I wasn't stressed.

Results were excellent, will definitely do again and play around with the marinade.

• I haven't done it for a while but jerky on my GMG has always been a big hit. I've tried a few recipes from here

Beef Jerky Recipes
    Beef Jerky recipes that are easy to make and taste great! Learn how to make jerky with these easy to follow step-by-step instructions!
    www.jerkyholic.com

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

• Update: After the 1st small batch of jerky was a hit with the wife, i have ordered some Cure so i can do bigger batches...

• Make sure you are knowing about the ins and outs about cure. It is a science of it's own. I don't use it for jerky as it's eaten within days! If I'm making it for touring than I will add cure.

Regardless of your flavour recipe My tip for your GMG is to make a raised shelf to get the beef up away from the heat. I used the front SS shelf up on pavers or something like roast prongs and run the machine at lowest heat. Just any rack held up high will do. My go to recipe nowadays is Bulgogi marinade in a bottle from the Asian grocer. It's got everything jerky needs.

• I tried it last night Ray. Woolies rump, marinated for minutes (less than an hour) and the end result was damn tasty.

Next up I want to do half a batch in the oven (my air forced oven goes down to 30°c), half smoked to see the difference. Either way definitely a good result

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!