BBQG Black Friday Kamado Joe

• Wandered into BBGQ and they have dropped their prices for Black Friday which look pretty tempting.

Metal Kamado cheaper than a Dragon or Akorn.

A Big Joe 24" cheaper than a classic 18"

You got to watch out when comparing which series you're looking at, ie. series 1,2,3.

What I've wondered is during a blind taste test can people tell the difference if the food is cooked on a series 1,2 or 3?

While I was there I checked if the discounts for the gassers where dropped in price like the KJ's. Nup.

• What I've wondered is during a blind taste test can people tell the difference if the food is cooked on a series 1,2 or 3?

Youtuber "Smokin dad bbq" has done some side by side cooks comparing series 1 and 3 big joes, and the result was NO difference.

Apparently the series 3 has 4" extra height which is a slight advantage sometimes, in certain configurations, but the general idea was it's better value to buy a series 1 and spend some of the money saved on something like the joetisserie or whatever accessories you value, if there are any.

• I reckon all Kamado’s cook the same it just comes down to personal preference on brand. I chose Primo due to Oval shape. Does it cook food better than KJ probably not.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, Primo Jr, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go and Ziggy Portable.

• Youtuber "Smokin dad bbq" has done some side by side cooks comparing series 1 and 3 big joes, and the result was NO difference.

Bduza Thanks for the pointer to his channel. Lot's of good videos. I also like the video where he compares the two top of the line Large 18" from KJ and BGE. In the end it comes down to personal preference. Both are terrific kamados and cook great food.

I like the fact he isn't sponsored by anyone. He sure has spent a lot of money on his bbqs.

• I've learned a few helpful things from him. For example, using double heat deflection seems to have a real benefit for achieving cleaner smoke by way of allowing a hotter fire. Also putting the wood lumps at the bottom.

But we still have to remember that youtube videos can pay a lot of money (hence his bbqs) so they are encouraged to get us watching with clickbait tactics.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!