Porchetta in a Kamado on Rotisserie

• Hi guys,

Interested in making one and cooking in the Primo on the Roti.

Ideas n getting the crackle right given it will be in the Kamado.

Yep will be in the fridge for minimum 1 day dry brine. Any other tips ?

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• I feel that on a roti you won't need to worry but something I found helpful has been to ignore the common kamado advice of setting the bottom vent to a finger or two and controlling temp by restricting the top.

If you want a dryer, less steamy environment in there, open the top more and shut the bottom more. I don't remember where I got that advice (it might have been someone here even) but it does seem to help with crackle.

• Any crackling which is not crackly enough can be fixed with a heat gun. Just get the distance right so the skin heats all the way through and you're not just crisping the top bit.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• On my spit i like the 4 count rule.

If i can hold my hand over the coals for a 4 count before needing to move my hand, it is perfect. If i have to move before the 4 count its too hot, longer than 4 count, not hot enough.

If you are concerned with a moist environment why not just cook with lid up and treat it like a normal roti ?

My possessions: GMG DB - Ziggy Triple

• Swamptrout - agree I like the count rule but i tend to go for 5-6 seconds for most cooks.

Except when crackling up a piece of pork

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• I don't think you'll have problem getting crackle with the direct heat on the roti. I always do pork belly on the roti in the kamado at about 200-220C. I guess for a rolled porchetta you could start out that hot to get the crackling started and then lower the temp over time to get the inside cooked.

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!