Pulled pork in the Asmoke

• I haven't done a pulled pork in the Asmoke yet as my usual weapon of choice for that is the Big Green Egg but today I thought, why not give it a try.

The pork is a neck at just under 2kg and I've added some Apple Cider vinegar to the built-in pan underneath the grill to help retain moisture. I'm using the upper rack and can add a pan under that if I need to but will see how it goes with the tray.

Set at 121c (250f) on the pit temp dial and I'm expecting about 4 hours before wrapping in foil but we'll check on that later. I want it in the stall for a while before the wrap gets done.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I wrapped it at about 5 hours and added some Carolina BBQ sauce mixed with a bit of water. I thought the Carloina/AC vingar mix I often use might be a bit strong for my guests on Saturday.

Then I set the temp up to 148c (300f), had dinner, a couple of wines and started watching a show on Netflix....and completely forgot about the pork ! 8|

So it had been in the foil for another 2.5 hours and when I checked, it was 98c internal ! :doh:

But it was fine, very, very, very tender. :thumbup:

I've vac sealed it in 2 lots and added a small amount of Carolina sauce to the bags.

We'll reheat with the Anova (sous vide) and have it on brioche buns with slaw on Saturday night. :bbq:

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Haven't tried tacos Chris, maybe next time.

I really wanted bao buns but decided we'd stick with the brioche this time around.

• That's amusing, but glad it turned out well, it looks great.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• From the way the guests got stuck in to it last night, it was a success. :)

We ended up with a mix of brioche buns and bao buns with a choice of Smokey BBQ sauce or Carolina BBQ Sauce, both from Lillies. If you get the chance to buy a bottle, I highly recommend both.

• Looks great.

Last one i did in my Asmoke came out a bit too dry, that may have been because it was on the main grate and not the upper rack. I've thought about putting another baffle/cover in the base to help with temp protection on the main rack, I love using my asmoke.

Did you use the heavy duty foil/stainless steel or just plain old alfoil with a couple of sheets?

Used to own: Beefeater 5 Burner BBQ, Weber Baby Q. Currently own: CharGriller Double Play with side fire box as offset, Asmoke AS350

• I used the heavy duty BBQ foil but a couple of normal sheets would do the job OK.

I think raising anything you are roasting in the Asmoke is a good move. It does get a fair amount of heat from the cover underneath so if you can't elevate the food, covering the deflector with foil would help.

• Gumb that seems to be it's biggest downfall is how close the main rack is to the firepot directly underneath. Chicken wings are amazing on it though, haha.

Used to own: Beefeater 5 Burner BBQ, Weber Baby Q. Currently own: CharGriller Double Play with side fire box as offset, Asmoke AS350

• Gumb that seems to be it's biggest downfall is how close the main rack is to the firepot directly underneath. Chicken wings are amazing on it though, haha.

That applies to just about all pellet smokers I've played with. GMG was no different in that regard.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!