Smoking a 4kg Scotch Fillet in a Kamado Joe

• hi folks

I have a 4kg scotch fillet. It is a beautiful piece of meat at 2+ and I want to get it right.

Can I get a temp and hrs guide on low and slow smoking in the Kamado Joe please?

Thanks all.

Cheers

• Are you planning on reverse searing?

For me a 1.5 kg rump takes around the hour mark at 110C in my Akorn. Can be a touch longer. I'm not sure if the time is linear, I suspect not, at a guess a couple of hours plus. That's for an IT of 48 - 50C. I sear after that.

With 4kg are you then planning on cutting into steaks and searing? You still have the option of searing whole.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Scotch fillet is not a usual low and slow cut. Already tender, it does not need a 12-18 hour cook.

Are you wanting to make a roast that has some smoke flavour? If so Wazza's advice is solid, cook to internal temperature, rather than time.

You could roast and smoke it, cooking it to your level of doneness, then slice it thinly (in a slicer if you have one).

Alternatively, take it off the BBQ and cut it into thick steaks when it is still at least 5c from your target doneness level, while it's resting open the vents fully and get your kamado pumping and sear the steaks.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• I'd be cooking it indirect at around 150c pit temp until it hit 48c internal and then remove the heat deflector and give it a short sear.

As Narm said, it's not a low and slow cut.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Yep agree with the above. You can pretty much just follow this for the most part -

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If you don’t have the soapstone, just use a deflector plate for the indirect, and then use the grill rack for the sear (or cast iron if you have it)

• Don't forget to let us know how it goes.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!