Kamado basket case project

• I've always been Kamado curious and also have a habit of trying to rescue old things from being thrown out. I've seen this one for sale and was wondering if it is worth picking up to try to bring back to life? Google image searches dont seem to bring up any hits, asking price is $50 but I need to factor in a new bottom draft door/vent and also top vent so in reality I'm probably better off looking for a used akorn or dragon.

Any thoughts?

Edited once, last by noidea (January 2, 2023 at 5:10 PM).

• Check out the search in this forum, pretty sure there’s a couple of guys who’ve done resto’s on these things.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• I'm not big in to renos so I'd be giving it a miss. It looks like it needs a ton of work, even though it is cheap.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• It looks quite small if I'm interpreting the pics correctly. For $50 I'd use it as is as a table top (if it's that small) charcoal grill.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• I'm guessing the grill is about 30cm in diameter. I would put in some lump charcoal and use it as a griller for things like steaks and snags. Maybe a small chook?

I wouldn't spend anymore money on it.

• Classic

Like a lot of secound hand selling. Find a bargain and buy it. Sell as many parts as possible then sell off the remains maximises your profit.

You see this a lot on bumtree a Weber parted out and needing a lot of $ thrown at it to make it complete again.

Personally I would not buy it if it wasn’t intact.

Yes I’m an acorn jr owner with a refurbed Weber family Q also a refurbed weber kettle.

Regards Dave

• Thanks all, I've messaged the seller asking if they could measure the grill and if there's a better picture of the firebox but haven't had a response.

I should have jumped on the dragon that I saw on new years day for $200!

• There will be other opportunities to pick up a Dragon or Akorn.

Do you have a Weber kettle ? You can pick them up cheap too.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• There will be other opportunities to pick up a Dragon or Akorn.

Do you have a Weber kettle ? You can pick them up cheap too.

Yeah, I've got my trusty and now a bit rusty one touch I've had since I won it when I was 15, just had a look it's a F code.

Edited once, last by noidea (January 2, 2023 at 10:13 PM).

• There will be other ceramic Kamados come up on Marketplace and Gumtree, just be patient and ready to move on it straight away. Know your prices and don’t try and lowball them.

I don’t mind a good Reno but not something that requires too much work and is something that is integral to the grill.

I did Reno a table for my Primo XL which whilst it was a reasonably big job was not something that involved the Grill itself.

You will find something just keep looking every day and it will happen. As I say be ready to go and get it straight away when you find it.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!