Home grown coffee beans experiment

• Check out the haul from my little Arabica coffee tree. The shrub is a little more than 1 metre tall, growing in a half barrel. Last year (year 1) I got a handful, which I didn't bother doing anything with.

This year I got a very decent crop. Every branch was packed and despite what's in the bowl pics below there's still a bit more on the tree (waiting for it to ripen).

SilentBoB or any coffee experts help! How do I get these out of the shell in bulk?

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• You'll have to get one of Wang's charcoal coffee roasters now. Sorry, can't help with the shells be please keep posting on this, very curious to see how it turns out.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Wang makes coffee roasters too ? I haven't checked in on him for a while but I'm glad he's still going.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Buy a Civet. Keep it as a pet and feed it Coffee. Then simply wait for it to crap it out. Then you can sell it for some ridiculous price or use it yourself. :D

Sorry couldn’t resist being a little cheeky.

Still can’t believe it’s considered a delicacy and they charge so much for it. When effectively all you are drinking is crap. More to the point the first sick individual who started to drink it <X

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, Primo Jr, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go and Ziggy Portable.

• Nice haul! Sadly our coffee tree has never produced beans.

Best advice to remove the bean from the cherry is probably Jimmy's :D

Failing that... you could place them between two cutting boards (or one cutting board and another hard surface). That's the best way I've seen people do it on a small scale in the home other than doing it by hand.

• Found a very useful video. I'll try to follow the process and see where it gets me.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

would be flipping cool to make your own small batch coffee

That's what I was also thinking. I'm curious to know how much net coffee I get from this batch. I hope at least a few hundred grams...

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• Show's my ignorance. I thought coffee had to be grown at high elevation.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation"

• Like you Bentley, I never thought coffee would grow in Sydney until I saw the little plant at a local nursery. I always thought it was tropical.

Mind you, it could still taste like crap.

My little tree doesn't look particularly healthy, so maybe at these latitudes and/or altitudes the trees might not have a long life span.

• my only recommendation from that video Narm Naleg would be to skip the pan roasting on the stove and pick up one of those $10 - $15 popcorn makers from K-Mart/Target

You'll get a better result from one of those. Can only roast a small amount at a time but will yield a much better result. I used one for years before upgrading to a Behmor

• Thanks for all the tips. I need to get them out of the cherries today/tomorrow. The drying should be easy in my dehydrator. Fingers crossed.

• I've moved the discussion to a coffee thread. Might be a good reference.

Removing the beans from the cherries was a rather daunting task to start with.

I had left them to soak in water for 2 days, so the cherries were quite soft and fairly easy to squeeze. Nevertheless this is 1.5 hours worth of squeezing. One at a time. Quite a relaxing experience in the end, with music in the background despite the tedious nature of the task.

This is the end result. Next step is to dry them.

• Would a cherry pipper work. They use them to remove the pipe from olives as well.

Possibly, but the issue is not so much about the difficulty (I churned through them pretty easily) as much as the fact of dealing with them one bean at a time.

The water soak softened the cherries nicely (as long as it doesn't ruin the beans). There must be a machine to make it easy. Not worth worrying about for my small amount this time, but I'd look for a better system if my quantities increase.

• Possibly, but the issue is not so much about the difficulty (I churned through them pretty easily) as much as the fact of dealing with them one bean at a time.

The water soak softened the cherries nicely (as long as it doesn't ruin the beans). There must be a machine to make it easy. Not worth worrying about for my small amount this time, but I'd look for a better system if my quantities increase.

Here is a video of the squash method I mentioned earlier using two cutting boards... although this guy just uses a lump of wood and the floor :D

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If you start doing a lot, you could invest in a mill 8o

External Content www.youtube.com

• Excellent video SB. I'm considering to use 10 beans from the crop to grow extra plants. If I do and get those sorts of quantities I'd have to invest in one of these machines.

• How hard is the bean once shelled? Say the consistency of a kidney bean or a cooked kidney bean?

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation"

• How hard is the bean once shelled?

It's quite hard, basically like a finished coffee bean, only slimy.

Currently fermenting for a day or so as that is apparently how to get rid of the slime.

• Still can’t believe it’s considered a delicacy and they charge so much for it. When effectively all you are drinking is crap. More to the point the first sick individual who started to drink it <X

It's also ethically shitty...

External Content youtu.be

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!