Home grown coffee beans experiment

• I think I can file this under the fails category.

2 days drying:

My bamix was great for removing the inner shell:

I toasted in the wok and I'm sure it would have been a lot easier with the popcorn machine, but unfortunately I chucked it out a few years ago and didn't want it back in the house for a small batch.

All the time and effort, yielded 96g of finished beans:

Comparison with the Brazilian beans I usually buy for $19 per kg. The commercial ones are bigger and better than mine:

The taste test:

It tastes OK. Similar to artisanal coffee I've had before, but unfortunately not a flavour I prefer to the commercial offering.

No bitter after taste, strongish flavour, with a different aroma than I'm used to.

While my effort was drinkable, the main outcome of this exercise was to drastically improve my appreciation of the Brazilian beans.

I had to handle the beans so many times, so much effort for a very ordinary result (I'm sure in the most part due to my failings).

Not a thing to do for the time poor, that's for sure. I don't know that I'd have another go to be honest.

$18.99 per kg and no work:

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• it's a shame it was such a small yield for all the effort.

Would have been interesting to see how the flavour profile changed after degassing over a week or so. Freshly roasted beans normally need a week or two before drinking.

• Would have been interesting to see how the flavour profile changed after degassing over a week or so

Is it just a matter of leaving them for that time? I still have a bowl of them looking at me every morning :)

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• Thx for the great thread Narm and posters, I have a bush, looks similar to your's Narm perhaps a bit bigger. It usually gets hammered in a cold winter but sometime's has quite a big crop and I have often wondered about having a go processing them. So thanks Narm I don't have to wonder any more

• I let the beans air for a week and the taste was definitely better, but still not as good as the commercial offering.

I saw a YouTube of another guy who ate the cherries. He reckons they are a little sweet. I'll give one a go soon.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!