• I thought it might be fun to talk about what the future of BBQ might look like.

There are new fuels like Hydrogen to thing about.

There are restrictions like Fire Bans, Apartment living etc.

The cost of charcoal is going through the roof and LPG is not enviro friendly.

The cost of meat is insane!

And, ....how do you BBQ on Mars?

Pic for attention:

• I remember the Hindenberg, hydrogen doesn't appeal to me.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• The way the world is going everything will be powered by methane.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• It depends on which dystopian future you look at.

Zombie future - brains, brains, brains

Soylent Green

Brave New World - pills

Star Trek - replicator

Terminator- nuke food

On a more serious note in the near term we see the rise of more electric based bbq. New heating technologies used to emulate wood/ charcoal cooking. Genetic amino acid food additives and enhancers to replicate bbq flavours and textures.

Traditional BBQ moves “upmarket” due to the cost. Only for special occasions or at special regulated restaurants.

Food portion sizes change. Eg move from legs of pork to Asian style skewers for meat as everyday bbq for the family.

• Hydrogen BBQ is intriguing. The fact that it's a clean heat source would place more importance on other factors for BBQ flavour, such as fat burning deflectors or smoke boxes. The current designs need to move beyond the flattop for that.

I'd like to play with one.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• At $1899 I think I'll give the Sun Oven a big miss.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• i was concerned by the title of the thread it was a vegan topic

There is some of that to think about, I'm guessing, cattle farming won't be easy on Mars.

Laboratory grown meat is in it's infancy but it may be viable in the future. The biggest inhibitor is the amount of water you need.

• G’day

You can’t use it under the patio but how about one of these. Sneak a couple of gum leaves in for that extra flavour

https://sunoven.com.au/Buy_Aussie_Edi…_Australia.html

Regards Dave

What a surprise to see a familiar name from 7 years ago on their front page blog!

• Records made their way back into the mainstream so give it some time and we will all be sitting in the bush with our leaf underwear cooking with bushy beards.

Used to own: Beefeater 5 Burner BBQ, Weber Baby Q. Currently own: CharGriller Double Play with side fire box as offset, Asmoke AS350

• On a more serious note in the near term we see the rise of more electric based bbq. New heating technologies used to emulate wood/ charcoal cooking. Genetic amino acid food additives and enhancers to replicate bbq flavours and textures.

Traditional BBQ moves “upmarket” due to the cost. Only for special occasions or at special regulated restaurants.

Food portion sizes change. Eg move from legs of pork to Asian style skewers for meat as everyday bbq for the family.

Certainly portion size is going to change.

And more and more people will turn to electricity, I've had that conversation twice in the last week, people looking for an electric alternative because their Apartment complex does not permit Gas or Charcoal.

Battery technology is going to play a part here but also the method of transferring the heat to the food.

• Like smoking ciggies, drinking alcohol and driving cars and eating meat, it'll be priced out of the average family's budget eventually so enjoy it while you can.

I estimate that I have up to a further 20 years on this planet, so I hope it doesn't happen till then =O

But I do think electrical devices will have a detrimental effect on what we use now albeit in a different way but as for heat, no electrical device has come even close to the heat energy of charcoal or wood and even gas. As for hydrogen, a Heatlie BBQ mentioned in an earlier post will require over 6kgs of water per hour so if you're doing a lot of grilling, that could bump up your water bill substantially and even go against water restrictions in future drought conditions.

I do think lump charcoal could come down in price a little maybe next year due to so many pits been filled with water over the past 3 years due to the rainfall we've had. More will come available in the future. We can only hope.

Gas will be available for a while yet even though Governments have been threatening us with Natural Gas shortages due to selling it for huge profits overseas instead of looking after our own population. But Gas is still the primary go to BBQ fuel especially in Fireban conditions.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: 8o

Davo

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• I doubt gas can survive due to the imbeciles running this place (both sides, I'm apolitical and they are all imbeciles). I just received an email telling me my expected gas bill for this year will jump from $1400 to $2000 pa.

• Yeah you're right about 1 thing....they're all embeciles, jeez Gumb that an almighty jump. I was trying to consider a Nat Gas Weber for my new house but might go pellet at those prices. Not sure Albury will be hit as hard but I have one of those Nat Gas Thermo wall heaters here in the house and I was told Winters here are long and cold.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!