Hi from Gooseberry Hill (WA)

• Hi,

I recently bought a GMG Ledge Pellet Smoker and looking forward to learn a few tips from here, and hopefully gives tips as I progress ! :P

• G'day and welcome to the forum. There's lots of good info in here about pellet smokers.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Welcome to the forum.

GMG are a good Pellet grill.

I still have one and use it from time to time.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, Primo Jr, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go and Ziggy Portable.

• Welcome aboard and great selection of BBQ!

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• Thank you all, I bought it to initially replace my very old gas bbq only to find out that I couldn't use it the first week I bought it due to total fire ban ||

I bought it with the Pizza oven accessory, used it only once but it's already been excellent.

quick question though, is it expected that on start-up, I get a lot (A LOT) of smoke for the first 5-10min ?

• Jules yes thats standard for Pellet Grills. Heaps and Heaps of smoke and then a cleaner burning fire starts.

Just think of it like this. The hot rod that starts it needs to get the pellets to a point of ignition.

Remember when you lit a fire and there was leaves all over it smoldering (heaps of smoke) and eventually they simply lit and away the fire went. Same set of circumstances apply.

Its concerting initially if you havnt used one before but yes that is standard on start up..

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, Primo Jr, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go and Ziggy Portable.

• I always keep the lid open until the smoke disappears, which is when the fire gets going with the fan. It still smokes a lot but disipates faster and according to the instructions, it's the correct way to go about start up. Then I'll set the desired temp.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• thank you for confirming !

Yes I have learnt to keep the lid open on startup as the smoke build-up could cause the lid to open itself up due to gas emission I presume.

I need to get myself an infrared thermometer for the pizza oven too and today isn't a total fire ban so I might do something then :)

• Welcome to SF&F. Enjoy the journey. ...... :bbq: :cheers:

Ziggy Trpl. ....Z Grill 700E and the New MINI.....Aldi & Camp Chef Gassers... Camp Chef cast iron.....Thermoworks Smoke...., Masterbuilt portable Charcoal Grill.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!