Smoking/grilling without a lotto win

• Brisket is not the easiest cut to get right. By all means go for it if it's what you want to do, but given it's Australia day, can I suggest a lamb shoulder. Far more forgiving, and you can take it out and slice (my preference), or go a bit further and pull it.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Small can be harder but will still work if you treat it carefully. I have a 1.6kg flat here and will cook it the usual way at around 230f but I'll wrap it once it's been in the stall for an hour or so.

I'd be going for the small bit and see how it goes.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Also, if going the brisket, try to pick the bit that has the point muscle. It's fattier so more forgiving.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• It rocked up yesterday, a few days early but it's now set up and ready. Just need to buy some charcoal and a Looftlighter so I can start making magic.

Good choice!

The Daisy Wheel type chimney vent is the "original" and the Perfect option, it provides fantastic control once you get used to it. The new "Command top" on the KJ seems to be giving people a lot of issues.

Don't make the mistake of treating it like a kettle, always fill the firebox right up, at the end shut it down and the fire will go out, what is not burnt is there for next time. It needs the full pile of charcoal so it breathes properly.

I also kike this kind of frame, the feet are wider and it seems more stable to me, just keep an eye on the welds, I've had a couple let go.

• Burn in went well yesterday, managed to fire it up successfully and keep it steady around 275F for 3 hours.

I've got the new Kommand top coming in this week and I'll keep the daisy wheel so I can change between the two as I need. First cook up will be on Thursday, might start a thread in the charcoal forum to chronicle my adventures in BBQ.

Again thanks for all the help!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!