Smoking/grilling without a lotto win

• Hey All,

I'm looking at getting a smoker that can grill or a grill that can go low and slow. It's been a tough search but I'm leaning towards an offset smoker along the lines of the Hark Chubby but can't find any reviews on it anywhere. I have seen a lot on the Oklahoma Joe Highland but needing to regularly paint the fire box is a bit off putting. Open to advice or any other suggestions in around the price range, or even other BBQs that are able to grill and do low and slow.

Andrew.

• Hi Andrew,

My advice would be a Kamado.

Can do all of the things you want.

Start with an Akorn from Bunnings for around $500.00 if new to this style of cooking.

If you love it then look to upgrade or at other types of grills.

My only draw back with a Offset is the constant fire tending which does not interest me. I am more of a set and forget style of guy.

Enjoy your journey whatever grill / smoker you get.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• Hey mate,

I’ve got a few smokers including a pro smoke offset which I really enjoy but it takes a bit of tending but the food that comes off it is incredible.

A Weber kettle with an offset plate works really well for both grilling and low and slow. I’ve also got a bullet which I rate as one of my favourites for the sheer amount of food you can but on it and the quality food it produces. It’s also good for grilling but I generally use my kettle for it.

There are so many options including a vast variety of kamados which can also do both.

All I can say is good luck and there is nothing wrong with having more than one.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• Offset smokers take a lot of care and attention, particularly the cheap ones you see around but reputable brands like GMG etc are good quality and bang for buck.

But if you want the ability to walk away for a while while the low and slow is cooking, then a kamado like the Akorn will work well. Even better a ceramic one like the Kamado Joe or Big Green Egg is the best but a lot more money.

The there are pellet grills like the Asmoke or ZGrills range. Both have various size options and allow you the freedom to set and forget but still some spend time tending the food while it cooks.

If I only could have one BBQ, I've always said it would be my Big Green Egg but the pellet grill runs a very close second. I had an offset for a play but it was just too much work keeping it at a constant temperature.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• The regular tending doesn't phase me too much so not overly concerned with needing to keep an eye on it.

I'll have to do some research on Kamodos though, hadn't really considered them to this point.

All the advice of appreciated, look forward to more. I'll update as I get closer to getting out the cheque book.

Andrew

• Apart from Kamado and Pellet grills that have been mentioned, I'm still thinking the Weber Kettle is a great alternative, you can learn a lot by cooking with live fire and there's so many ways you can set up a Weber kettle for the type of cooking you wish to do and they can smoke for many hours if you set it up right.

Komados are very heavy, they cook great but you got to be careful with them, especially the ceramic ones because if you ever topple one, it's bye bye Komado.

I'm not saying they are the best grill but they do most things very well and cheap and easy to use. They can smoke, BBQ, Roast and grill, they can also bake.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• I really think an offset is a mistake if that's your only decent BBQ. Playing with it is fun for a while but it's not convenient and takes time which you won't always have.

Ceramic kamados are brilliant but hard to get on your budget, even second hand there aren't many around and they have gone up in price a lot over the past two years.

You should seriously consider the Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 as another option. It's still a live fire using lump charcoal and there's a whole thread about them in here and the reports have been positive.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I forgot to check Bunnings...yes, that's a very good option too. It will do everything like grill, cook low and slow, roast and of course, nice pizza.

• A couple of folks explain the technology.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Card Shark I've just ordered a UDS from UDS Australia. Looked long and hard at the Gateway but after seeing how good Dwayne UDS is I decided to get one like his. I also like the fact that it’s supporting a local small business.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• Card Shark I've just ordered a UDS from UDS Australia. Looked long and hard at the Gateway but after seeing how good Dwayne UDS is I decided to get one like his. I also like the fact that it’s supporting a local small business.

Fair enough mate. I first discovered the Gateways when running my BBQ comp at Burleigh. It was very cool to observe the equipment different teams used for success. Interestingly, some of the American's I brought out to do cooking demo's and compete also asked to cook on them, irrespective of who's brand they were also supporting. CS

• As an offset owner as my main low & slow bbq i personally love it. Granted i am a fire bug & love tending a fire & messing around with that. I started my bbq journey with an Akorn kamado & it was a fantastic little unit. The set & forget of the Akorn is great for beginning but if you say you don't mind the constant tending a fire it can be a steep learning curve on how often you need to feed the fire & how big/small a log you need to put on. I also have a weber instead of setting up the offfset for a shorter cook or direct grilling.

20" Reverse flow Offset, Weber GA, Weber kettle

• As an offset owner as my main low & slow bbq i personally love it. Granted i am a fire bug & love tending a fire & messing around with that. I started my bbq journey with an Akorn kamado & it was a fantastic little unit. The set & forget of the Akorn is great for beginning but if you say you don't mind the constant tending a fire it can be a steep learning curve on how often you need to feed the fire & how big/small a log you need to put on. I also have a weber instead of setting up the offfset for a shorter cook or direct grilling.

How do you go with grilling on the offset? I'm happy tending and fiddling to keep things going, my main concern is can I use it for a grill up without doing too much.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!