Beef Ribs

• I posted in another thread about these Cape Grim beef ribs I bought recently and here's the first cook.

I cut the 4kg pack in to 3 sections of 2 ribs each and froze the other two for another day.

The weapon of choice is the Big Green Egg loaded with red gum charcoal and set at around 300f.

I put them on a rack with a pan underneath which had some red wine vinegar in it.

After only an hour they had pulled back off ther bone nicely but weren't at the target temp yet.

After 2.5 hours they had reached the target of 200f internal and I think this is where I made a mistake by leaving them in the egg for another hour because we were still 3 hours from dinner time.

So after 3.5 hours cooking time in total, I wrapped them in foil and we were still a couple of hours away from eating.

By the time I did unwrap them, they were only warm and tested ok with a probe but not as soft as I would have expected. So zap in the microwave got them back up and I think that helped get them more tender.

Served with slaw and chips I thought they tasted great and were almost falling apart. I can't say the wife liked them though, she's not a big fan of the strong meaty taste which beef ribs have.

What woiuld I do different next time ?

Cook them at a lower temp and wrap them once they reach the target rather than leave them in longer.

You can't win them all as they say and while I wouldn't say they were a fail, but they could have been better.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Yes the cooker temp was a bit high hence why they cooked quickly, the kamado type cookers are very efficient and not much heat leaks out so you need to perhaps dial in a temp between 225-250F with the lower being preferred.

Once they get to 203F which is vaguely around 95C, is the time to take them off and wrap and placed in a esky with an old towel or you can just whack them in the inside oven at warm temp. Maybe now that you know how quickly the egg gets, perhaps starting them an hour later. But those ribs look fine, they weren't a disaster and as far as your wife goes, some find the smokey bbq taste harder to get used to but if she continues to have an issue with it, then good her something on a gasser or something. My wife doesn't like foods that are over salty.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• I find that from 203-205f internal temp they soften nicely.

I have tried 195-200fand they never are soft.

I don’t wrap mine at all.

When ready I wrap them and put in a esky for a rest.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, Primo Jr, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go and Ziggy Portable.

• The problem I have with red gum charcoal in the BGE is that it tends to go out if starved of oxygen too much which is why I went for 300f in the pit. The only other option with low and slow red gum is to hook up the Digi Q and that seems to keep it alight better. I've also got plenty of robot turds which I'll use next time.

The lump from Heat Beads or similar from Bunnings works well but red gum is really best at normal roasting temps.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Why the red wine vinegar? Did you do anything with the drippings?

Get yourself a Ninja and they can sit nicely at 65 degrees. ;)

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• The red wine vinegar was something I had just sitting in the cupboard, no particular reason.

No, didn't get much in the way of drippings.

• CG beefies are the best, can't seem to find them anymore... ;( ;(

While it doesn't help you immediately, but next time you are in the big smoke Midland IGA carry them. I'm sure if you called ahead of time they'd make sure there were some put aside for you.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!