What are the best coffee beans ?

• Having recently given up on pod coffee, I bought a decent Breville manual machine and am now looking at different types of coffee beans.

I got some online from Padre Coffee which are very nice but not cheap at $60/kg. A mate was telling me today that he has tried many and reckons Aldi are the best and way less at around $15/kg.

What other recommendations are there ?

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• i am on a coffee roasters forum and other than buying green beans and roasting your own, almost all the connoisseur's (snobs) say the Aldi lazzio range in medium roast are the best and are a fraction of the price of the name brands. They are roasted local to you in vic too which is a bonus.

I drink them and they are good.

My possessions: GMG DB - Ziggy Triple

• I'm a coffee simpleton. My goto is the Remio from Costco, but they've not had them lately (was $18.99). I'm also happy with Vittoria coffee beans from colesworth when they are (regularly) half price.

A bit like the price of charcoal at $2.50 per kg, my target is no more than $20 per kg for coffee beans. I've tried the more expensive ones, but I prefer the cheaper ones.

I make sure to only buy Arabica beans, ideally from a South American country (Columbia and Brazil being fairly easy to find). Stay away from robusta beans.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• I get mine from Merlo. I'm on the Bayside in Brisbane so go to the Victoria Point store. I've been drinking their strong "Forza" roast for a while and have started to lean towards their Espresso blend. The free coffee you get with every bag is always brewed nicely and the staff are friendly.

I find that getting the grocery store bought beans in any style are sometimes hit and miss and don't last long and tends to not grind/brew so well once you open the bag, even though i re-seal it.

Used to own: Beefeater 5 Burner BBQ, Weber Baby Q. Currently own: CharGriller Double Play with side fire box as offset, Asmoke AS350

• Good info for any locals up there. I got one of those vac seal pots to store my beans.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Five sense had been our to for some time, but the price has crept up to that $60 per kg mark so normally only buy them when they come on special.

The roastary is just down the road from me so can order and just go pick up, so know we are always getting freshly roasted beans. They also have a roastery over east.

The biggest issue for me with the supermarket beans is they are generally fairly old by the time you get them in your cart, and many lack roast dates.

But, it depends a lot on what taste you prefer in the cup and how you drink your coffee, I know for a lot of people older coffee isn't an issue as long as it kind of just tastes like coffee. I've been spoiled since marrying a barista.

I did find a freshly roasted batch of Brew Coffee Roasters Huila blend at a local independent grocery store and really enjoyed them. Could really get the stone fruit flavour in my espresso, wasn't bad with milk and think they would work well for filter coffee too (although I ran out before I tried that). I think the shop I got them from had them on special as it was only $16 for 500g. On the website it's $27.50 for 500g or $45 for a kilo.

But independent grocery stores are normally a good option for a selection of independent roasters and they normally have a roast date. I prefer within a week of roast date, but will go up to three weeks from roast if I'm out of coffee at home :P

Generally I consider $40 per kg and below a bargain for decent coffee and up to $50 expected... above $50 and it's starting to get expensive.

I also didn't mind Dimattina. They have a roastery here in Perth and in Melbourne, but I don't live near them any more so rarely get their beans.

Also recommend keeping an eye on OzBargain. Some roasters will post some good discounts up there.

• Our local supermarket (Maxi) sells Proud Mary beans which have been good so far. I bought some of the Aldi beans recommended here and will give them a try.

All good info from everyone, thanks.

• For those that live in the BBQ capital of the world, I like these guys:

For the Best Coffee in Perth, Visit Yahava, a Specialty Coffee Roastery
    Yahava KoffeeWorks delivers the best coffee in Perth and throughout Australia! Shop online or visit in-store for coffee beans, teas & chocolate beans.
    www.yahava.com.au

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I am a heathen I use Pods at home.

Generally a double shot of these.

Lavazza Crema E Gusto Nespresso Compatible Coffee Pods 30 Pack | Woolworths
    Check out lavazza crema e gusto nespresso compatible coffee pods 30 pack at woolworths.com.au. Order 24/7 at our online supermarket
    www.woolworths.com.au

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• I've tried the Aldi beans after the comments on here and they are very good and great value.

• Woolworths stocks Campos coffee beans, and they include a roasted date and best before date on the label. Campos are (were) and independent roaster that made it into the big leagues.

I buy them when they are 3-4 weeks past roasting, but skip any that are earlier than that. You don’t want 6 month old beans.

I have a local roaster we go to normally, but if we run out campos are quality and always consistent.

• I have coffee black with no sugar and find robusta beans too bitter

Try Malaysian coffee. It is made using Robusto beans, but roasted with butter or magarine to remove the bitterness. Just don't brew it in any pot that you will use for anything else, or any nice looking mug. That stuff stains everything and is bloody hard to remove.

I used to love drinking Kopi Kosong in the mornings, whenever I visited my grandmother in Malaysia.

• That and it has more caffeine, and that is the only reason I drink coffee!

I find that coffee is very much an acquired taste. I imagine that most people's first cup of black sugarless coffee is pretty jarring. But you can get used to it and then really enjoy it.

I could probably get used to robusta, but having grown up with Arabica I find it preferable. I even prefer ordinary brews over the connoisseur ones and I think it's the same reason.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!