Cape Grim Brisket, someone went a bit overboard

• Got this delivered today (that was my mistake I guess) and it seems they've taken off a decent chunk of the fat cap. Bit of a pain as this is my first brisket and I was hoping it would turn out alright so I can convince the Mrs that I should be cooking these more often :D. I assume that part of the lean is just going to be a bit dry though no matter what I do.

Next time I'll just wait until I can pick one out in person.

• That looks fine to me, in fact from Cape Grim it should be great.

Brisket gets trimmed anyway so just cook it as you would normally and wrap it after the stall.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Yep but I'd rather be in control of trimming the fat cap down rather than it just having huge patches completely missing. Always going to a be a risk ordering online though I guess, so lesson learned.

• The ex-butcher in me says that looks good to me.

Hard to tell in the bag but it looks like the point end to me.

Please post up some pictures when you take it out of the bag and before you do anything else to it.

Good luck!

Ziggy Trpl. ....Z Grill 700E and the New MINI.....Aldi & Camp Chef Gassers... Camp Chef cast iron.....Thermoworks Smoke...., Masterbuilt portable Charcoal Grill.

• The deckle has definitely been cut out!

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• I’d still cook as normal and see how it goes.

I’d inject the flat to get as much moisture into it as possible and the point can always be turned into burnt ends.

Saying that it may cook up fine with Cape Grim being a premium piece of meat.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• Yeah I agree, I wouldn’t even bother trimming.

• Wow that is bad

I would take some more photos and put in a compliant to the producer.

That has been well and truly "Butchered". .... and you've paid good $$ for it.

Ziggy Trpl. ....Z Grill 700E and the New MINI.....Aldi & Camp Chef Gassers... Camp Chef cast iron.....Thermoworks Smoke...., Masterbuilt portable Charcoal Grill.

• I agree with GG, lots more photos and ask for a refund. If they don't come to the party get your bank to reverse the credit card charges. If your going to brine, I'd be wet brining and injecting.

You also have the option of removing the flat once it's cooked, keep it warm while the point finishes, especially in this case as it's mostly been removed anyway.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Spoke to the place I got it and they’re being pretty great about it and swapping it out. They were pretty shocked at the state of it too. They’re ages away (that’s why I got it delivered) but I’m heading closeish that way on Monday so that’ll work. Trust me to get something random like this, I swear

Edited once, last by Hansel ().

• Good result, despite the hassle.

Maybe they'll even sell it to you at a "sausage meat" price. I'd buy it if cheap and play with it.

Boat it and keep it moist, add some lard, etc.

I reckon it would still be great.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!