Rust on new(ish) Ziegler & Brown grill plate

• Hi, we have a Ziggy Classic Twin Grill and noticed this rust on the hotplate. It's a few years old but we couldn't have used it more than 15 times or so. We noticed it after using a Ziegler & Brown pizza stone a couple of times. Is this amount of rust usual this soon with a Ziggy bbq? Could it have anything to do with using the pizza stone? We've taken great care of it - always left a decent amount of seasoning on the plate and never left it exposed to the elements. Anyway, any input would be appreciated so I have an idea on how to proceed. Cheers.

• I am guessing the pizza stone got super hot (as they are intended) and you have burnt the seasoning off. Moisture from humidity or whatever has got in to the grill grates and rusted it. Give it a light scrub and re-season.

Whilst the bbq's are good the grills are known to be a little lesser in quality.

My possessions: GMG DB - Ziggy Triple

• What he said. anytime you do a cook with no meat on the grill you burn out the seasoning, put some oil on a paper towel and wipe it over the grill ideally right after you turn the bbq off. Same thing happens to my weber gasser.

It's only surface rust, a quick brush, apply some oil and light it up, the oil will get in and it's re-seasoned. You don't need much oil to re-season.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I am guessing the pizza stone got super hot (as they are intended) and you have burnt the seasoning off. Moisture from humidity or whatever has got in to the grill grates and rusted it. Give it a light scrub and re-season.

Whilst the bbq's are good the grills are known to be a little lesser in quality.

Thanks very much mate

• What he said. anytime you do a cook with no meat on the grill you burn out the seasoning, put some oil on a paper towel and wipe it over the grill ideally right after you turn the bbq off. Same thing happens to my weber gasser.

It's only surface rust, a quick brush, apply some oil and light it up, the oil will get in and it's re-seasoned. You don't need much oil to re-season.

Cheers mate

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!