Pro Smoke Kamado Deflector Plate

• A 35cm cast iron pizza pan works well.

You will probably find that once the fat drips on it it will weaken and crack on the one in the link you posted. I used to use deflector stones but i kept going through them as they cracked. Not a problem when I started using a cast iron deflector.

When you're not using it as a deflector, you can use the cast iron pizza pan as a griddle and cook some eggs and bacon for breakfast or hot sear a steak on it for dinner.

• I terms of size, 35cm works well as a deflector? Ideally would you want a bit more or less when sitting your deflector over an area with 43cm diameter?

I made a cast iron deflector for my Akorn Jr and wrapped it in aluminum for easy cleanup, though the aluminum on the underside would flake away, is that normal or dependent on the aluminum foil brand I'm using?

• I don’t wrap my deflectors in foil as I am concerned that when it burns away which it always does in some way it may impact the protein I am cooking and I will ingest it :dunno:

But that’s me.

When deflectors get dirty I just do a high heat burn. Smoke pours out of the grill but after 30 mins it’s back to normal.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• Experiment. eg. you can put it the normal way up. The juices pool and then evaporate. You can put things like potatoes in there to baste and get extra flavour, or depending what you're up to a crusty outer coating.

The other way the juices drip into the hot coals and vaporise creating a different effect.

In summary, there's no right way. Do what works for you.

Having handles on the deflector/cast iron pizza pan makes it easier to remove. eg cooking steak have the deflector in to cook the steak nice and slow then take it out for the hot final sear.

• I've broken several pizza stones on mine. I use an aldi paella pan now, with foil over the top. One of these days I'll buy something cast iron like you picked up.

Upside down works fine but if you want to catch the drippings I recommend foil like I've been doing.

Also, unrelated to deflector but I recently put a new seal on the lid and ash tray (not a replacement, but a second seal) and it's honestly like a different bbq now. It seemed to pass the smoke test before but there must have been air getting in as it's far more stable now. I got it off a amazon, pretty cheap and definitely worth the effort.

• Also, unrelated to deflector but I recently put a new seal on the lid and ash tray (not a replacement, but a second seal) and it's honestly like a different bbq now. It seemed to pass the smoke test before but there must have been air getting in as it's far more stable now. I got it off a amazon, pretty cheap and definitely worth the effort.

As in you added a seal to the metal side? makes for a tighter fit! Where'd you get the fibreglass gasket from?

• As in you added a seal to the metal side? makes for a tighter fit! Where'd you get the fibreglass gasket from?

Yeah, so now when I pull the latch down there is some resistance to it.

I just searched "bbq gasket felt" on Amazon. There might be value in choosing a more expensive one, but mine was $16 for 5m, 15mm wide. If it doesn't last I'll replace it with a more expensive version.

Cleaning that metal rim took a bit, and I finished it off with isopropyl to make sure no residue of oil or cleaning products would bugger it up.

I did it after smokindadbbq on YT tested an akorn for a few cooks and did the upgrade to that, claiming it made a big difference. It certainly makes a noticeable difference in the TTT behaviour. I have to open it wider for similar temps.

• I did it after smokindadbbq on YT tested an akorn for a few cooks and did the upgrade to that, claiming it made a big difference. It certainly makes a noticeable difference in the TTT behaviour. I have to open it wider for similar temps.

I reseasoned my grates twice over for 2-3hrs each time at 250C. The dome gets really hot, is the dragon not as well insulated as the akorn? :/

• Gday

I’ve the Akorn junior.

A simple bit of bar bent into a triangle will give you a base for your deflector to sit on. I used a pottery pot plant saucer for my first. Yes it cracked I knew that would happen but I used it cracked till a suitable cast iron pan came along.

I use a foil pan in that. If things go well and the temps in range I fill it with boiling water from the kettle. If temps go a bit north with temps cold water to bring down the temps.

Either way the water catch’s those flavoursome drips and a light smoking and makes the basics for a great gravy. In fact a mate uses gravox and you’d never know.

Regards CD

Edited once, last by cobblerdave (January 29, 2023 at 5:25 PM).

• Yeah, so now when I pull the latch down there is some resistance to it.

I just searched "bbq gasket felt" on Amazon. There might be value in choosing a more expensive one, but mine was $16 for 5m, 15mm wide. If it doesn't last I'll replace it with a more expensive version.

Cleaning that metal rim took a bit, and I finished it off with isopropyl to make sure no residue of oil or cleaning products would bugger it up.

I did it after smokindadbbq on YT tested an akorn for a few cooks and did the upgrade to that, claiming it made a big difference. It certainly makes a noticeable difference in the TTT behaviour. I have to open it wider for similar temps.

Gday

Got some nomex gasket on order myself after seeing that self same Utube vide. Great to hear you had a good outcome with it. Recon with 5 meters and an acorn jr I’ll have enough to do it again if I stuff it up the first time……

Regards CD

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!