Fitting second seal on the Akorn kamado

• G’day

Like Bduza I watched the smokingdadbbq Utube clip and decided to fit an extra seal on the Akorn.

A flea bay nomex seal at $16 dollars add postage exchange difference to American dollars plus gst becomes $40. What the hell I’ll do it anyway.

Took three weeks which wasn’t bad from the states.

First cleaning. Bottom ash pan was a dream clean as a whistle. Main body was a different story. Plenty of baked on whatever that you normally except on a bbq had to go.

Worked my way thought the domestic cleaners with little results. Had to pull out the big guns. Wax and grease remover and 180 grit sandpaper. It’s baked enamel so it’s tough enough take the heavy duty clean and it came up clean.

Nomex seal was a little wide for the Akorn junior but it was easy to trim with some scissors. Easy to put on and the jobs done.

I’ll give it a test run tomorrow when I find some time

Regards CD

• Gumb February 1, 2023 at 4:05 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “Fitting secound seal on the Akorn kamado” to “Fitting second seal on the Akorn kamado”.
  • New seal looks very nice and should make a big difference to air flow management.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Just be a little careful. I ordered some Nomex recently and put it on the ash pan of the Akorn, and after my first cook the Nomex was pretty much just burnt to a crisp, and basically just flaked off.

I did get the Nomex from a reputable place so I dunno, but keep an eye on it.

• G’day

Finally got some time to myself and lite the acorn. Vents fully open till 150 F then halved them top and bottom. 200f halved them again. Finally slipped into my target temp of 275f with top vent on 1 and bottom vent on 1 held that temp for 4 hours.

Before I’d be lucky to hold 300f with top on the little notch and the bottom on the left side of the screw.

Removed the cast pan defector and changed the setting top and bottom to 2 and it docilely went up to 425f and I grilled a couple of burger for lunch.

So I’m calling that a win. Still wouldn’t try to maintain 220C not worth it . Finding 275f to 300f my go to temps these days especially as there is usually only the 2 of us these days and the size of the meat is definitly going down. Regards CD

I

• Now that I've used it a few more times with the tip top temp, the difference is really big. Before I was setting the TTT between 1 and 2 for most cooks between 120 and 180. Now I had to set it to 5 to hold 160C the other day. And open the bottom vent a bit more also. It feels like learning the TTT all over again.

Obviously it was leaking air a lot more than I thought.

• G’day Bduza

Which Akorn do you have. I have the junior and have to date pretty much given up using the TTT on the Akorn jr. Just snuffed the fire out a couple of hours after setting it. Up till then I’d used it on a Weber kettle and it was bullet proof.

What are you settings particularly the one of the bottom vent which is critical for air flow unlike a kettle.

Regards CD

• In the early days people were adding/changing seals, bending vents etc etc to stop leaks.

Later people discovered one of the best ways to seal an Akorn is to use it. After awhile the gunk seals the leakages.

• G’day Bduza

Which Akorn do you have. I have the junior and have to date pretty much given up using the TTT on the Akorn jr. Just snuffed the fire out a couple of hours after setting it. Up till then I’d used it on a Weber kettle and it was bullet proof.

What are you settings particularly the one of the bottom vent which is critical for air flow unlike a kettle.

Regards CD

Dragon, which is the same as the full size metal akorn.

Tips and tricks:

Ignore the TTT instructions and open the bottom vent. If the top vent shuts and the temp doesn't slow, close the bottom vent a bit. With the new seals I added, it sits stable with a small finger width at that bottom vent. I think the instructions are to suit a kettle that leaks like a sieve.

Make sure the charcoal is easy to burn. I've been using the prosmoke branch (Ie the 18kg bags that are different to the smaller bags). This stuff struggles with the TTT but is great with the active fan controller. So if I'm using the TTT I add a few small chunks of heatbeads lump and it's fine.

• G’day

In the early days people were adding/changing seals, bending vents etc etc to stop leaks.

Later people discovered one of the best ways to seal an Akorn is to use it. After awhile the gunk seals the leakages.

G’day

Had this puppy for over 6 months now and it’s fully gunked up. Trust me after using a home made bullet smoker for 8/10 years now I realise the importance.

This little shit is infuriating and interesting at the same time. It’s hard to drive but when you get it right produces the best food. The Weber kettle been used only 2 times in the last 6 months when I’ve needed the extra acreage.

Regards CD

• Dragon, which is the same as the full size metal akorn.

Tips and tricks:

Ignore the TTT instructions and open the bottom vent. If the top vent shuts and the temp doesn't slow, close the bottom vent a bit. With the new seals I added, it sits stable with a small finger width at that bottom vent. I think the instructions are to suit a kettle that leaks like a sieve.

Make sure the charcoal is easy to burn. I've been using the prosmoke branch (Ie the 18kg bags that are different to the smaller bags). This stuff struggles with the TTT but is great with the active fan controller. So if I'm using the TTT I add a few small chunks of heatbeads lump and it's fine.

G’day

Thanks for the reply. I’m interested in giving the TTT another go now. I’ve got an inkbird fan controller and I’m a big fan of the graphs and the temp probs but I’m still interested in getting the TTT to work. I’m also a big fan of basic and simple and the TTT is the best thing on a kettle.

Thanks CD

• Ignore the TTT instructions and open the bottom vent.

That's exactly my experience too. I think mine needs a clean as it's not closing smoothly like it did when new.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• cobblerdave yep they are a great little grill.

I ultimately cheated and used the smartfire on mine.

Worked a dream with the Guru adapter from the US that i picked up on my trip back in 2019.

so much so i sold the Jnr but kept the adapter as i loved the portability of it.

One day i reckon i will buy another one.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!