Do we have any Gardners on the site?

• I didn't get a very good chili yield this year sadly. My habanero plant didn't produce any fruit (in fairness I probably got my chili plants a bit late into the season). Still really hot here in the west though so they are still looking healthy. I'll try to move them to a more sheltered area when the weather cools down and see how long they keep producing for. Once had a Thai chili plant last a few years but it eventually died when I went away on holiday and it was neglected for about 4 weeks.

I don't really plant much in the way of vege at my current house. It's a rental so I don't want to invest the time and effort only to leave it all behind when I move out :p

Probably should utilise the garden more though. Previous tenants killed off the grass and I refuse to replant it at my own cost but I could get a few boxes out the back to grow things. I like the idea of growing my own cabbage and broccoli.

• In Sydney the biggest problem is remembering to water every day. We've had a record run of hot dry weather. 35c high yesterday at my place. Apparently at least one more week before rain. Chillies are thriving!

• Good work there Sarg. What are your plans for the new patch?

My chillis are finally coming along. I planted them late, but it seems like they'll still give me some sort of crop.
    Poblanos, I'm not sure if they'll grow any bigger, but the little plant is full:

Jalapenos (the "Early" kind), much more uniform shape than my old jalaps:

Cayennes, I tried to plant cayennes widely in my front yard, but they all got burned in the summer heat as the area gets full sun most of the day. This little plant thrived because it grew accidentally behind a potted jaboticaba tree:

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• Some good looking plants all around!

The beds are all prepared, the crops that can take a little colder temps are in...The Berries where the straw is...Some herbs in middle front, and broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower about 3 rows in from the back.

Big pile is the compost/mulch pile that I hope with some rain and heat and a few turns...will be in pretty good shape come mid summer!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• @Narm Naleg

This is my canvas.....

Im going to get rid of the path and bring the retaining wall to the inside edge where the concrete is now. Im hoping to have six beds 2.4 x 1.2m. The kids tramp will go to the far end in the pic. There is another 2-3 mtrs or so to the right of the tramp. In between I'd like to have a few fruit trees (fig(s), a lime, blueberries, dwarf orange etc) and if space permits a nice little fire pit and a few chairs.

This time around im going to keep all the herbs in pots, except for a few companion plantings between vegie plants. Not quite finished still need a few more pots.

• Had this section that no matter what I plant, gets dug up by the dog.

So figured id fill it up with rocks to try beat the little b@$tard at his own game.

Maintained the BBQ theme, of course.

Homemade Ugly Drum - Weber Go Anywhere - Hark Texas Pro Offset - Weber Kettle x2 - Weber BabyQ - WeberQ3200 - Fire Pits - Rotisserie

• I have dreams of having a thriving lush garden with fruit, veg and herbs growing abundantly - but it's just not going to happen while I'm running my own business and working 80 odd hours a week - I'm amazed I get as much done at home as I do haha. I do have some hydroponic herb set ups and a few pots of strawberries, jalapeño, and herbs on my back verandah - but that's about as much as I can manage right now alongside home brewing, preserving & cheesemaking.

Once you put my meat in your mouth, you're going to want to swallow.

• My dad tried this in 1974. Sounds like a garden to me. Lets see it!

I do have some hydroponic herb set ups and a few pots of strawberries, jalapeño, and herbs on my back verandah - but that's about as much as I can manage right now alongside home brewing, preserving & cheesemaking.

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• Is the water constantly circulated?

No it doesn't circulate - it's nothing fancy, just a hydroponic kit from Bunnings - but you have to put some liquid fertiliser in every time you change the water. I recently hacked the basil right down when I made some Passata, but its booming again. Handy to have some fresh herbs within easy reach.

Once you put my meat in your mouth, you're going to want to swallow.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!