Webber Kettle Vs Pellet Smoker Vs Kamado Joe Series 2

• The Weber Kettle is also highly impractical, with a large lid that is loose (not hinged), sits at a lower cooking height and sits on legs that only get the job done. The outside gets dangerously hot if little ones are in the vicinity.

A more usable form of the Weber Kettle is the Weber performer. I highly regard it as it deals with the impracticalities above.

Another Kettle option is the Napoleon range.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• The Weber Kettle is also highly impractical, with a large lid that is loose (not hinged), sits at a lower cooking height and sits on legs that only get the job done. The outside gets dangerously hot if little ones are in the vicinity.

A more usable form of the Weber Kettle is the Weber performer. I highly regard it as it deals with the impracticalities above.

Another Kettle option is the Napoleon range.

The Performer (2007 model sage green) is the one I use mostly, the lid is light so no problem taking it on/off or folding it back in the lid holder, don't have little ones but understand other's might so yes best to take precautions, never had any issues with the 3 legged models, as I also have the Master Touch plus, you can arrange coals to do any type of cooking you want, there are lots of accessories available through Weber or 3rd parties. I've never had one tip on me in the 20 years I've been using the kettle and the Weber kettle has been around since 1957, popularised here in Australia in the 70's and still selling like Hotcakes in the 2020's. I could never consider the Weber Kettle impractical but value and useability are always a personal preference.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• and still selling like Hotcakes in the 2020's

And also the most popular BBQ at kerbside rubbish collections in Australia.

There's no doubt that it can be great, but the impracticalities are not to be underplayed. The OP has used one before, so will no doubt be familiar with them: you're cooking and need to open the lid? Make sure you have an appropriate location to put the large lid on. It may drip grime, so watch out if you have a brand new deck or pavers. Or children.

Why haven't they implemented a hinged lid? Because they'd have to also put better legs on and the cost would go up. The lid parking add-on is a must IMO.

The performer is good, but in Australia (new) it's overpriced.

Horses for courses.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• And also the most popular BBQ at kerbside rubbish collections in Australia.

There's no doubt that it can be great, but the impracticalities are not to be underplayed. The OP has used one before, so will no doubt be familiar with them: you're cooking and need to open the lid? Make sure you have an appropriate location to put the large lid on. It may drip grime, so watch out if you have a brand new deck or pavers. Or children.

Why haven't they implemented a hinged lid? Because they'd have to also put better legs on and the cost would go up. The lid parking add-on is a must IMO.

The performer is good, but in Australia (new) it's overpriced.

Horses for courses.

The roadside pick-ups are usually but not always the cheaper ones, i could never find the good ones and I used to see countless roadside heaps when driving buses in Sydney but never any Webers ;(

I have seen on a YT vid that the Master touch Plus in Europe has a lid hinge and to be frank, I think even the metal on the kettle may not be strong enough to cope with a hinge set up over the long term. Kamado's have less bending or splitting potential I feel.

Yes, the price had gone up on the kettles and all Webers considerably over the years considering most come from the USA rather than China, shipping costs especially after Covid have shot up due to fuel prices. The Performer still a tad under $1K, I bought mine in 2008 for $580, but that was a damaged box price (Kettle was untouched), RRP was $720 back then so all in all, I think over 15 years, a price difference of around $250 isn't too bad. While mine now needs a bit of renovating, it'll still outlast me I reckon lol. :bbq:

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• and can uy them brand new with an Australian cook book for as little as $500 with an ashpot

and you can buy 2 or 3 weber kettles for the price of 1 Komado....now that's value!!

Ummm, an Akorn is $500, not sure how you can buy 2 or 3 kettles for the same price.

A kettle is great, but a komado is better. I've had both, but now only have a kamado and no longer a kettle, just my opinion.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Ummm, an Akorn is $500, not sure how you can buy 2 or 3 kettles for the same price.

A kettle is great, but a komado is better. I've had both, but now only have a kamado and no longer a kettle, just my opinion.

Yeah Wazza, I realise the Acorn is $500 but was mostly referring to an equivelent sized food grate Ceramic type.

• G’day

I acquired my 3rd kettle in the beginning of COVID. Built it a functioning slow and sear. A vortex of sorts. A rottissary out of a 44. It doubles as smoker with an extra shelf and deflecter. Keep me busy and my sanity during the COVID.

Hasn’t been used in 6 months…..

Been taken over by an Akorn junior kamado.

Why? Ticks a few boxes the Weber can’t.

It’s on my back deck under cover and ready to use as it has a clip on ash collector and doesn’t drop ash and importantly sparks on the deck.

Has a cast iron grates. Giving it some mass to keep steady heat. And great sear marks.

Frugal. Doesn’t use much charcoal and you can close the vents to snuff out the rest and use it next time. Can’t do that with beads. Once heated they are pretty used.

Have added an inkbird controller. Once you dial in the temp. You check it and walk away knowing it’s going to stay there.

Bit hard to learn but I’ve been learning for years now good probability I’ll die before I know it all with bbq.

Regards CD

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!