First ever Tri Tip

• Yes, I did a Cape Grim Angus tri-tip a couple of Months back and I found this youtube video on a way to do them and glad I did.

I smoked the Tri-tip on the Weber Kettle at 250F until internal 120F (not C)

I took it off at 120F and rested in foil for about 25 minutes.

I stoked up the coals to give me a great reverse sear (you can do the same on the ziggy if you wish) and sear the tri-tip till an internal temp of around 140-145F, rest again for another 20 minutes capped with foil, then slice thinly as you can....mate...it's the best, nice and pink inside and still very juicy, any juice in the foil can easily be poured over the slices of meaty goodness.

Tri-yip has got to be my favourite cut of meat these days..hard to beat.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• I like to do tri tip on the offset. Smoke until about 46 - 48 degrees internal and take it off to rest. While it's resting I get the fire ramped up and reverse sear in the firebox. Works well for medium rare.

One of my favourite cuts, but not cooked it for a while sadly.

• We have an awesome Harris Farm Market down here in Albury and they sell Cape Grim Tri-tip steaks, much better than the Costco cuts as these are whole and not cut in smaller portions like the Costco ones. In fact I'm seriously thinking of going to HF later today to pick one up and fire up the Weber Kettle. :yum)

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

• I am from The Central Valley, so it was always a high heat grilled piece of meat. It is cooked a lot of different ways over here. I still like a 4 side sear, then cook at 275° till an IT of 125°, usually takes about 35-40 minutes.. Pull, rest and slice thin against the grain.

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Edited once, last by Bentley Meredith (April 1, 2023 at 12:49 PM).

• Smoked a tri-tip today, probably not as good as my last one but good at the same time with mixed veggies

Edited once, last by Davo: I was using mobile as thats where the pics were taken from but I thought maybe the pics didn't go through....but they did, all 3 of them x 3 lol (April 1, 2023 at 5:06 PM).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!