BBQ / Smoked Easter Eggs

• With Easter fast approaching I came across someone who created smoked Easter Eggs on the Weber Kettle.

Sorry, no links as he had copyright notices all over the web page.

Anyone making bbq/smoked Easter Eggs?

• 12x7 April 6, 2023 at 9:52 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “BBQ Easter Eggs” to “BBQ / Smoked Easter Eggs”.
  • Yes, I have smoked eggs before and they were fantastic. I did it on the Treagar when it had the original controller and used the numbered settings, can't remember what they are called, rather than setting a temp. It allowed the bbq to sit at around 65 degrees, just can't remember how long.

They came out like soft boiled eggs but had this wonderful smoke flavour that went with eggs so well, something I must do again.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• OK, just relaxing up the farm so time for a play. Using the Weber kettle.

Cut up some banksia cone.

Then eggs on.

Don't know why image didn't auto rotate. Temp is coming up past 50 degrees but still rising slowly, so the question is how long?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• 1 hour in I thought I'd take a pic.

The colour looked good, but I touched them and they felt too hot, so I took one off and cracked it.

You can see where the smoke had started to penetrate, but it felt very firm.

Way over cooked and very little smoke. I found my post from years ago in the old forum and I nailed them that time. Seems smoked eggs is for pellet smokers where they can sit at 65 degrees and it takes 2.5 hours to give enough time for smoke to get in. The kettle was too hot.

I suspect the extra heat set the white too quickly and provided a barrier to penetration unlike a more liquid white, which I had that first time. Have no idea if my suspicion is correct, perhaps others cab chime in.

• 12x7 those methods linked are different to what I did in the traegar, i managed a very soft white and soft yolk.. If you do a search on the old forum you will be able to see the pics. They are now low quality with photo bucket logos all over them, but you may find it interesting. My name on the old forum was Ozwaz.

• I wonder if the lamb added extra flavour?

12x7 those methods linked are different to what I did in the traegar, i managed a very soft white and soft yolk.. If you do a search on the old forum you will be able to see the pics. They are now low quality with photo bucket logos all over them, but you may find it interesting. My name on the old forum was Ozwaz.

I wonder if the lamb added extra flavour? Plus I noticed you cranked up the temp at the end to 75-80.

• This popped up when I included Traeger in the search.

Smoked Eggs
    Learn exactly how to make these delicious and easy Smoked Eggs on your Traeger Pellet Grill. This recipe is great for making smoked deviled eggs, putting in…
    gimmesomegrilling.com

Hints to use older eggs, peel and place back in the smoker.

• This was many years ago, and even more bottles of wine ago, but this is my memory. I had just got into the whole 63 degree egg thing with sous vide.

So while the smoker was sitting at 65 degrees that's where I had the idea about the eggs, I wanted to see if I could replicate that in a smoker. I do remember the first one I cracked the whites were well under, and that's why it got a bit of a crank at the end, to set the white a bit more.

I think I had the eggs at the cold end of the smoker, and the lamb at the hotter chimney end, given the size of the traeger I doubt there was any flavour interaction between the two.

It's something I really wanted to do again, so I can't believe how long it's been since that little play.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!