Upgrading from Akorn. Found a used Primo XL

• Hi All,

Long time no post. My Akorn has rusted out and it's time to get myself a ceramic Kamado.

Unfortunately my wife has decided it needs to be black and my bank balance isn't exactly thriving with 2 young kids. I had planned on getting the Pit Boss 22inch Kamado and had it in the kart on the website waiting for my bonus from work, but it seems to have disappeared with no known return date if ever.

I found this online and was wondering if anyone has seen them and has any feedback, I assume they are the same as all the Chinese made kamados with different badges.

Buy Pro Smoke Kamado at Barbeques Galore.

I emailed my local store and they can order in, price seems good to me although haven't confirmed if I need to buy any extras.

Any feedback or alternatives would be great, there is a promo xl on marketplace for 1600 that I would love however my limit is probably 1k

• I'd push back on the colour being the determining factor. Go for quality. It'll look nicer after the initial unboxing anyway.

I realise they might be out of your price range, but as far as ceramic kamados go, I'd aim for a big green egg or a primo. Or if you win lotto a Komodo Kamado.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• CozI'mHausen April 25, 2023 at 1:06 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “Pro Smoke Kamado from BBQs Galore $549. Would appreciate feedback.” to “Upgrading from Akorn.”.
  • CozI'mHausen April 25, 2023 at 1:07 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “Upgrading from Akorn.” to “Upgrading from Akorn. Found a used Primo XL”.
  • Being ceramic make sure the rear hinges are in good shape. Nothing worse than the lid crashing down and smashing and crushing hands/fingers as well as cracking the lid. To replace the hinge/bands I think it is between $400-$600 and you need to be handy to replace.

Make sure the firebox isn't cracked. Again expensive to replace.

If you're putting it on a wooden deck make sure it can handle the weight. The XL is HEAVY.

• If you're putting it on a wooden deck make sure it can handle the weight. The XL is HEAVY.

Or at least have a way to spread the load over several joists.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Ok so went for a look today, it looks pretty old and the screws on the hinge have rusted, otherwise no sign of cracks and the hinge springs seem to hold fine.

The table needs a bit of a birthday, and the crazing is fairly noticeable, but I'm picking it up on the weekend and looking forward to my first cook.

I'm not much of a haggler but got him down to 1100 which is fine for me, they seem to be listed a fair bit higher and I'm sure if he bothered to clean it and empty the charcoal etc. he could have got more.

Not sure I'll be in a rush to upgrade the hinge or any other parts for now, but may look to it in the future.

I'm hopeless at taking photos didn't even get an overall shot haha

Edited 2 times, last by CozI'mHausen (April 29, 2023 at 2:03 PM).

• Congrats mate - great buy - u wont be disappointed in the Primo . :clap: :clap:

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• Welcome to the Primo family. You are one of us now.

Primo XL :bbq: - orange 1986 Webber Kettle - Broil King Royal Gas BBQ - Coolabah Pantera Gas BBQ - Webber go Anywhere - Cobb cooker. One or the other will be in use sometime soon. Loves using cast iron. :thumbup:

• Welcome to club Primo.

You will love that thing.

Such a great Kamado.

Primo Accessories
    Australia's best range in Melbourne of smokers, rubs, bbq accessories, with all the main brands like Traeger, Big Green Egg, Pit Barrel Smokers, Gateway Drums.…
    thequeclub.com.au

I will send you a PM.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• Hand made in 2011. :thumbup:

Will cook fantastic food for you. :bbq:

So much grill space with oval shape and true two zone cooking.

Once you have cooked on it a couple of times would appreciate your thoughts after having a Akorn previously.

Remember you will have to learn the grill with its vents etc…

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

• Haven't had alot of time this weekend but managed to do a clean burn and squeezed in my first cook tonight. Kept it simple with burgers, gave me a chance to play with the half moon etc.

Cooked at around 450f next time I'll probably take it a bit higher to get a better sear on the burger but otherwise found the setup to work great!

Forgot to take a photo of the finished product, it's rare I remember to take any photos at all haha.

• The two zone works great.

I do my burgers exactly the same way, Grill then move, put cheese on and close lid for a minute or so and cheese is melted on the cool side of the grill.

Great to see that Old (2011) girl has still got it.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

• First overnight cook with the trusty Tip Top Temp. Pork scotch around 2.5kg, not too fussed about monitoring, just have alarms set if the temp goes past 260f, or if the pork goes over 210. TTT been sitting at 230ish for an hour so pretty confident I can get a good night's sleep, although it may be ready by 3 or 4am.

Been making Mexican style work lunches with it, pork with a bit of taco seasoning, rice, beans, corn, tomato, corriander, spinach, cheese

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!