Recommend a chainsaw

• For small jobs like that I’d go for a battery one.

I’ve got a small petrol one but a mate has the battery one of equivalent size and it’s unreal.

My next one will definitely be battery as I run all my tools for work off them and I’m slowly moving the home tools to them as well. The lawnmower is fantastic!

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• Yes, battery operated is the go, i have both, use the battery one for camping, around the house, petrol ones for wood cutting, big jobs.

Sthil ones are good, i work at a dealer, we have no issues with them. i bought a milwaukee as all my 12v/18v gear is milwaukee, cheers,

Chester.

• For making logs smaller, I use this: https://www.kindlingcracker.com/pages/kindline-cracker-king

Works well for any log that fits comfortably (loosely) in the diameter of the circle.

I've just taken down a 5 meter (at least 35cm radius trunk) white mulberry tree with an ego battery powered pole chainsaw. Big fan of battery powered garden gear, and the Ego pole saw attachment for their multitool did an amazing job.

Trimmed the tree, then chopped it down and then reduced it to small useful sizes. Not recommended for lots of big cuts, but quite frankly was amazed at what it did on the mulberry.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• I have the Stihl MSA 120 battery chain saw and wouldn't go away on a trip without it. Bloody brilliant littel saw which gets through camp fire wood and wood for home easily. I've had lots of comments from people with petrol powered saws who can't believe how much wood it gets through without needing a recharge. I have a petrol one too but don't use it anymore. Another benefit is the low noise level of electric saws. Nobody knows you're out in the forest cutting wood with an electric one.

I also have their blower, lawn mower, whipper snipper and hedge trimmer, all using the same two batteries.

Whatever you get Greg, you'll need to get a good one so you can just add other tools as you go. I'd recommend 2 batteries and maybe the fast charger.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Thanks Narm Naleg . I've had one of kindling crackers for a while. Great for soft woods, no so hard. Have not seen a pole chains saw. Will investigate

With the kindling cracker, I can do ironbark quarter logs with a small sledgehammer. But you're right, some logs can be stubborn.

I don't think the polesaw is what you are after, it's more useful when you need reach. I was more just wanting to express a +1 to battery powered.

This in the Ego range might be more useful (though not cheap):

EGO 56V Brushless 1 x 5.0Ah 45cm Chainsaw Kit CS1805E-P
    <style xml="space"><!-- .embed-container { position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.25%; height: 0; overflow: hidden; max-width: 100%; }…
    www.totaltools.com.au

With battery tools, the key is to buy into a good ecosystem, because the batteries are the expensive bit, so sharing them with multiple tools can be the better option. Also that way you don't end up with lots of different chargers.

A few years ago I standardised my garden equipment to Ego and general tools to Ryoby for that reason.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• What petrol do you reckon for wood cutting? Chester

As far as stihl products go, no smaller than a ms 180 miniboss, but honestly if you are not cutting firewood for house heating, i would buy a battery saw, no mucking around with 2 stroke mixes, polesaws

are good for tree limb trimming, not so good for log cutting, cheers,

Chester.

• We have both Petrol powered Stihl and a Battery powered Milwaukee - we tend to lean more to the battery powered one - pretty much because its click and go, no messing around with mixing fuels, no having to carry fuels with you. Just grab a battery or two, some bar oil and you're set.

Once you put my meat in your mouth, you're going to want to swallow.

• We've got a couple of big ones up the farm which will cut logs. But in the city I have an old 240v one (pre battery saws), and a stihl petrol combi system which has a pole saw.

My brother has a battery Stihl which I've borrowed and was really impressed with it. He also takes it camping and has in the past had to cut up trees which had fallen over the track.

If you down size the logs while still green before letting them dry out I'm sure one of these would do the job.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Oh that looks nice and shiny. Now go and get it dirty ;)

I'm assuming you know this but I'll check anyway as it's your first saw, you know about chain oil?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Good choice of chainsaw. As a rule, one tank of fuel usues most of the chain oil, so every fuel refill, fill up the oil. Or as in this case, a recharge.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

Edited once, last by Gumb (May 26, 2023 at 10:30 PM).

• Pretty much what he said just up there.

You have a chain spinning around a bar with a slot in it. You need lubrication to prevent the metal wearing - moving metal on metal gets hot, oil reduces the friction. It still will wear and eventually need replacing, but the oil really extends the timeframe for replacement.

Check to make sure there is oil in the reservoir, and I like to hold the saw so the the end of chain is just off the timber I'm about to cut and pull the trigger to spin the saw. If it's feeding oil you should see some expelled oil on the wood, this will tell you the oil is feeding properly and you are good to cut.

The other thing you need to be aware of is how tight the chain is, too tight and you create extra friction, which creates heat which means wear. Too loose and the chain comes off. Read the manual about adjusting the bar for chain tension. Once you are aware of this it's pretty simple to work out which I'm sure you will quickly.

Go to youtube, how to use a chainsaw and how to sharpen a chain. It's actually pretty simple stuff once you know what to do. First time you run the chain into something you shouldn't like dirt or a rock, I'm guessing you'll use similar words to which I use, it happens unfortunately - but hopefully not too often.

Enjoy and be safe.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!