New member seeking advice on coal bbq table

• Hi all,

I'm Dave and I am new to this forum. I am based in Sydney, NSW.

I'm a timber furniture maker (https://www.thewattleroad.com.au) and have recently had someone enquire about making a custom table that has a coal hibachi / yaki-niku style grill in the middle of it. The original idea they got was from here: https://www.ibbq.com

I have been researching available options (coal / gas / electric element), DIY versus integrated elements, etc. There are numerous hibachi grills that sit on top of a table but none I've seen that could be safely integrated beneath / in the middle of a table without being a danger to combustible materials and people. The Everdure by Heston is probably the closest match i've seen (electric element start of coal) but believe there must be something else out there. Otherwise an integrated grill in an insulation jacket would seem appropriate.

Safety is a big concern and so was hoping this forum could offer some info if known:

- Australian standards for coal powered bbq's / not gas?
    - Any examples of coal grill bbq tables like above mentioned that exists in Australia?

Thanks so much for any guidance / advice / links you can offer.

Dave

• Hi Dave,

I can't give you much input let alone advice, all I can do is say what I'd be looking for if it was my table. I'm assuming you're referring to an outdoor table? I would not do anything like what you suggest indoors as the fumes can kill.

For a start I'd want it to be a charcoal box (for an outdoor table with integrated BBQ), and I'd want the charcoal box to be well insulated to prevent burning people's legs/knees as well as to protect the table. I'd want it to be reasonably deep so that the flames are not near the surface.

Then I'd be looking for a frame using a non flammable. Thinking tiles of some sort. Both facing the charcoal box and especially as a cornice around the BBQ to stop any stray embers from damaging the table-top.

I immagine that a separation between the metal and the wood would be required to avoid warping and discoloured wood.

For something so long as in your picture I'd want multiple small sections of stainless grill, so that they can be moved around and washed easily.

I'm not sure that wood is the best material for the job really, but if I saw one for sale, the above items would be part of my consideration

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• I actually wonder if you'd be better off trying to integrate an existing product into a table. If you sank one of these to the level of the top bit of horizontal stainless you'd still be able to operate the vents.

I love the look of the grill at table level, but it just screams a safety concern to me. Having 3 or 4 of these partially sunk to me is a safer and more practical solution. Plus I've got an identical one and sitting directly on a table, the table does not get hot.

Actually I'm kinda loving this idea and am now thinking of building this myself.

Lenoxx Hibachi Tabletop BBQ Grill with Tongs | Temple & Webster

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I guess one of the best ideas is to go to a Yaki-niku restaurant in Sydney like Rengaya in North Sydney or Manmaruya in Beverly Hills to see how the cooker is placed into the table.

Also Korean Restaurants have a similar system in their bulgolgi bbq restaurants .

There was a Melbourne Company who used to make these about 5 years ago but can't seem to find them anymore.

But someone has to build these tables for those types of restaurants so they must still exist. I'd be asking lots of questions.

Oh, and these bbq tables are being used in a indoor setting but with funnelled chimney spouts that pull down over the fire to suck up any toxic fumes.

Another alternative idea that I've seen is a large table that has a hole cut on the centre with a small Komado in the hole.

Other ideas is that a small charcoal (round) grill in the middle hole that can be taken out and replaced by a ice bucket for drinks so it'll have to have a strong bracket to hold them in place.

Or maybe one of these kits can be built in to a table, looks as though it may have lower transferred heat. It can be for Japanese or Korean style of grilling. Panghuhu88 BBQ Charcoal Grill,Portable Household Korean Grill,Smoker Grill Non-stick Round Carbon Barbecue Grill Camping Grill Stove for Outdoor,Indoor and Picnic : Amazon.com.au: Garden

cheers

Davo

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

Edited once, last by Davo (May 24, 2023 at 10:46 AM).

• Hi all (Narm, Wazza and Davo) - all great feedback and suggestions. My biggest concern is the safety aspect also - burning the legs, table catching alight and fumes. I'm leaning to an already made unit that I can integrate beneath. Interesting Wazza that you say the small table top hibachi grill doesn't get hot when on top of a table - the main benefit of it on the table is the ventilation. I'd need to ensure this gets plenty if positioned beneath the table.

Over the last week I have reached out to numerous Korean restaurants, China factories who make these indoor units for commercial restaurants. Nothing exists yet for the non-commercial space - all indoor units have either above table or below floor fan systems to remove the fumes.

Anyway, all good feedback. I'll need to keep researching and then make some decisions.

Have a great week.

Dave

• you say the small table top hibachi grill doesn't get hot when on top of a table

Have a look at the pic above, it's in a metal frame which holds it up off the table. By partially sinking the bbq's, you could potentially put the bbqs away and replace with some kind of bespoke ice bucket, or drop in a timber insert to make it a flat table.

Yes you can see I had a bit of a play with the idea the other night.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Hi all (Narm, Wazza and Davo) - all great feedback and suggestions. My biggest concern is the safety aspect also - burning the legs, table catching alight and fumes. I'm leaning to an already made unit that I can integrate beneath. Interesting Wazza that you say the small table top hibachi grill doesn't get hot when on top of a table - the main benefit of it on the table is the ventilation. I'd need to ensure this gets plenty if positioned beneath the table.

Over the last week I have reached out to numerous Korean restaurants, China factories who make these indoor units for commercial restaurants. Nothing exists yet for the non-commercial space - all indoor units have either above table or below floor fan systems to remove the fumes.

Anyway, all good feedback. I'll need to keep researching and then make some decisions.

Have a great week.

Dave

Been to a number of Japanese Yaki-niku restaurants and have yet to feel any heat on my legs at all and they mostly all use timber tables. They would have heat shields around the fire bucket. Some run on Gas whereas some use flex hex charcoal bricks and I've even seen them use robot turds in them.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!