Smoking box / tube - useful or a waste of time?

• With the trend to outlaw charcoal/wood bbq's and even gassers, leaving electric bbqs as the only option, how useful/useless are using a smoking box/tube to your gas /electric bbq to add some smoke to your cook?

• 12x7 June 12, 2023 at 10:28 AM

Changed the title of the thread from “Smoking box - useful or a waste of time?” to “Smoking box / tube - useful or a waste of time?”.
  • They work. I've used a sieve with the middle poke up to allow pellets in a snake to do beef ribs in the family q.

I can't see solid fuel bbqs being banned any time soon.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I use one as pictured above the square / oblong one.
    I use it when making bacon, as I use a tiny piece of charcoal for heat, and to make the smoke.

It is what I first learned about smoking with, long before I found out about the Kamado /Primo and using charcoal.

I use it now, when I cannot use charcoal, such as when I am camping and using my small gas BBQ, or there is total fire bans.

So yes, i consider them essential, and will continue to use them, when the occasion arises that it is needed.

Primo XL :bbq: - orange 1986 Webber Kettle - Broil King Royal Gas BBQ - Coolabah Pantera Gas BBQ - Webber go Anywhere - Cobb cooker. One or the other will be in use sometime soon. Loves using cast iron. :thumbup:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!