Chatter thread for Lamb Challenge - January 2024

• Hi All, Challenges are back! :bbq: With Australia Day coming up it just has to be LAMB!

JANUARY 2024 LAMB CHALLENGE

New year and we're going to try out some new ideas on how we do these.

Cooking of the food is open to ANY method of cooking. We all love BBQ but yep, can be cooked indoors if you like.

Chatter in this thread please.

Open for entries from now until end of the month.

No proof of life for this one but please no old cooks.

Voting will open 1st February until the 5th February.

Entries thread is over here...... Lamb Challenge - January 2024

Cheers, Wayne

BBQ Junkster

I just did a weeks worth of cardio after walking into a spiderweb

• I'm keen. Not sure but i reckon I'll go for a good old shepherds pie in the camp oven. What's everyone else cooking?

That sounds good DaveZ GFuessing you've done one or two of those before?

I was thinking of Lamb Rack or maybe ribs. But have an idea for lamb rump but do it like a Picahna.........

BBQ Junkster

• That sounds good DaveZ GFuessing you've done one or two of those before?

I was thinking of Lamb Rack or maybe ribs. But have an idea for lamb rump but do it like a Picahna.........

Yep yep. I like to use a boneless lamb leg roast, cut up into large cubes, dusted with flour and browned well in some oil in the camp oven and go from there. Some chopped veg, some red wine, a bit of stock, a couple hours on gentle coals :drool: Yeah I'm gonna have to cook it now, I'm hungry haha

Akorn Kamado, 12Qt &9Qt Spinifex camp ovens, spun steel camp oven, Kings <X battery spit.

• Yep yep. I like to use a boneless lamb leg roast, cut up into large cubes, dusted with flour and browned well in some oil in the camp oven and go from there. Some chopped veg, some red wine, a bit of stock, a couple hours on gentle coals :drool: Yeah I'm gonna have to cook it now, I'm hungry haha

That sounds pretty good DaveZ I might try the browning part then put it onto the spit..........

BBQ Junkster

• Q: how many entries can one have ?

Multiple or just the one ?

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• Looks good Captain I think I'm going to hold out and cook mine on Australia day 🇦🇺 If the weather doesn't play the game I'll be trying to figure out how to make it all work on the Akorn.

Akorn Kamado, 12Qt &9Qt Spinifex camp ovens, spun steel camp oven, Kings <X battery spit.

• BBQbushy has a nice looking lamb shoulder over there. Yum.

Yeah especially as I got it from the local butcher for $15 !! it was one day past there used by date.

Never enough BBQ

Primo XL, Imperial Kamado, Pro Smoke Offest, Pot belly stove, Flaming coals Spit , Jumbuck 'Rondo' Med spit, Webber Kettles, Small SS battery spit , 5 Burner beefmaster, gasmate portable bbq,

• Lamb shoulder on the portable in the caravan park for us.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• The boneless lamb leg from our local butcher has been defrosting overnight. The plan was shepherds pie in the camp oven in the back yard but it's a bit damp outside this morning so I'll have to weigh up my options a bit later. I might have to try to find a way to make the camp oven work in the Akorn yet. Either way, I'm having shepherds pie for dinner tonight.

• Gday

Ended up with 2 boned lamb shoulders. I bought one and the wife bought one so I cooked one on Wednesday.

But of an experiential cook. Rotissary on the family Q. Smoking tube with mountain ash. Small baking dish of water on a trivet and only the small burner on 1/2 gave 140C. Took 4.5 hours stalled most of that time but I took it off at 95C.
    The outside looked a bit burnt but the bark was exceptional. Inside was moist and tender and o so flavourful. It certainly lost heaps of size in the stall but the result was a loss of water and the lamb flavour was concentrated. It was a shoulder so heaps of connective tissue to melt into jelly and keep the meat moist and tender.

Veg was potatoes and a qld blue pumpkin chucked in the evaporated water pan with some peanut oil. Those drippings made for some great baked veg.
    Did cop a bit of grief from the wife about the srunken size of the roast but it certainly ate well.
    Will I do it again. Yes but not today. We have guests over. So it’s tried and true and in the Akorn. Can’t expriement on your guests.
    Regards Dave

• Prep is well underwater. Going to get the Akorn fired up soon as we are getting enough showers to make it pretty hard to cook outside today.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!