• Unfortunately my bbq arsenal has grown too large. I need to make some room for a table and chairs, so some tough decisions need to be made. Can you help me choose?

The situation on my deck:

1) Big steel keg kamado (non negotiable. Kamado must stay)

2) Maximus wood fired pizza oven (non negotiable. Max must stay)

3) Fire pit (non negotiable. We love cooking and eating around it in winter)

4) Blackstone gas griddle

5) Genesis E320 gas bbq

6) Cyprus grill

7) GMG Daniel Boone pellet bbq

8 Masterbuilt 800 gravity fed bbq

How much do I need to downsize:

Removing the non negotiables, one of the gas bbqs needs to go. Two of the remaining three must go.

With the gas bbqs, I'm very much leaning towards getting rid of the Genesis. I've not used it in years, have no real need for the side burner and love the Blackstone griddle for teppanyaki, the searing part of the reverse sear, big breakfast (though very rare) and burgers.

With the other three, it feels like Sophie's choice.

HELP!

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• So it seems like the Cyprus grill has to go.

Debate continues on pellet BBQ VS gravity fed masterbuilt. I realise people have liked the captains list, but it would be great to understand the reasoning.

To add to the confusion, I think I'd be able to get more $ for the masterbuilt because it's still quite new. Whereas the gmg is getting on in life and while still perfect (except for the poor wifi range) I doubt it would sell for much.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• I would go with definitely remove the Genesis as you say it's basically just gathering dust. The cyprus grill, all of that can be done over the fire pit really. Between the GMG & Masterbuilt you have charcoal cooking on the Steel keg so could keep the GMG for the slight different flavour profile. Both are set & forget essentially & as you say the Masterbuilt is newer so resale value will be higher.

20" Reverse flow Offset, Weber GA, Weber kettle

• Personally, if I had to make the cuts, I'd drop the Genesis, the Cyprus and, reluctantly, the Masterbuilt (although should be noted that I've not used the masterbuilt).

Main thinking is that the pellet provides that hands off easy cook. The only reason I'd choose the Masterbuilt over the pellet is if the flavour profile that it delivered was significantly different to what I could achieve with the other barbecues, and I really liked the specific flavour it gave me.

If the results are similar to what you get from cooking with charcoal and wood in the kamado then I'd take the higher sell on value for the Masterbuilt and be happy with the rest of the arsenal.

• Personally, if I had to make the cuts, I'd drop the Genesis, the Cyprus and, reluctantly, the Masterbuilt (although should be noted that I've not used the masterbuilt).

Main thinking is that the pellet provides that hands off easy cook. The only reason I'd choose the Masterbuilt over the pellet is if the flavour profile that it delivered was significantly different to what I could achieve with the other barbecues, and I really liked the specific flavour it gave me.

If the results are similar to what you get from cooking with charcoal and wood in the kamado then I'd take the higher sell on value for the Masterbuilt and be happy with the rest of the arsenal.

Think you've pretty much nailed it there Josh

BBQ Junkster

I just did a weeks worth of cardio after walking into a spiderweb

• Debate continues on pellet BBQ VS gravity fed masterbuilt. I realise people have liked the captains list, but it would be great to understand the reasoning.

For me, there's two aspects of "hassle free" bbq. One is long cooks, low attendance. The other is fast, easy starts.

The kamado can do the hassle free long cook with some kind of temp controller. I don't love doing sears and veges on it though.

The GMG might be an all-rounder but like the kamado it seems best suited to the long slow things.

So I'd pick the MB because it would suit the midweek "cook anything", and when cooking for a crowd the kamado would do the slow stuff and the MB would do anything else.

Tl;dr to my inexperienced self it seems that the MB complements a kamado better than the GMG.

• ok, now my serious answer.

4) Blackstone gas griddle

5) Genesis E320 gas bbq

With a flat plate in the Genesis can you do what you do with the blackstone, and still have the option of grilling? I'd personally lean towards the Genesis, but you know if you need a gas grill, personally I need one.

6) Cyprus grill

This would go for me, the fire pit has it covered.

7) GMG Daniel Boone pellet bbq

8 Masterbuilt 800 gravity fed bbq

This one is harder. I don't have a gravity fed, but have used my brothers, and I question how well they are built and their ability to last long term. I could be wrong, just my gut feeling. The komado has the high temp searing covered which is the other use for the gravity, so for low and slow I'd go pellet. You just know with the GMG you can set the temp and walk away.

For a quick solid fuel grill, get a hibachi and keep it in the Genesis.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!