DIY wind up / wind down grill & ember setup

• Hey guys, I'm on the last part of my DIY stainless Q journey

Im looking at knocking up a wind up / wind down grill addon & a separate firebox thingy with a grill on top, to burn off wood, then to use the embers for a cook up.... basically, a south american bbq style setup

My bbq is basically a rectangular box with the fire contained within the box. The fire itself is hidden within the rectangular box, this makes it more fuel sufficient than a fire exposed to the elements.
    The grill grate itself, sits below top of the box. Its from here, I would like to make an adjustable thingy to raise & lower that grill.
    Does anyone know the max height I should be making this to...... say - 7 hundy above the top of the rect box ?
    I also want to knock up a separate firebox for the embers. Ive got no idea on any dimensions what this sizing should be

Doing anything DIY is pretty much simple to fabricate & weld, figuring it all out is the bloody hard part. When theres no real drawings that Ive come across to make this a smoother ride.... talk about bloody trail & error.... Ive done heaps of errors, but its been a good ride so far

This is my setup, basically a double skinned stainless Q. Made from 1mm stainless offcuts from work, only paid for the wheels & cast iron grate
    The middle part is a single skin removable rotisserie attachment. I gave it the grinder treatment last week, to mod it into a pizza oven with removable hat section screwed on panel.
    The lid itself is double skinned as well
    The round tube at the top of the square tube frame by the air vents, is where the removable wind up / down addon will assemble to

DIY stainless multi pit, WGA & rotisserie, 14" WSM, gas baby q,

• Gday

Sounds like your making a Hasty Bake type grill

Found an instruction book on line( sorry unable to make a link)

If you can find a parts list I recon it would go a long way to explaining how the winding handle raises and lowers the charcoal grate.
    There’s a American cowboy character Ken rollens that makes YouTube food clips who uses a hasty bake.

Interested to see how this thing works out.

Regards Dave

Edited 2 times, last by cobblerdave (February 2, 2024 at 10:28 PM).

• cobblerdave

Never heard of a Hasty Bake grill
    I had a quick looksie on youtube.... very interesting grill, especially convection cooking. Nice bit of kit

Wazza

When I burned sticks for the first time from burn off to embers, the generated heat buckled the internal skin.
    The easiest fix was to add a folded corrugated skin to deflect generated heat from the existing internal skin.... seems to work ok

A simple 4 sided raw edge ring helps contain the coals to the center of the Q.... & below the fire grate, are 3 piece removable ash trays, making ash removal very simple, especially the drippings

Dimensions - 600x450 ext, 560x412 internal with 20mm wall on 5 sides. The cast iron grill sits 220 above the coals grate & the cooking area is 900mm from the ground
    The original plan was to be an optional stick burner, with a lid off cooking with an up & down grill to cook directly over fire

DIY stainless multi pit, WGA & rotisserie, 14" WSM, gas baby q,

• G’day

The advantage of charcoal is that it lights to form a coal bed pretty much straight away. You don’t go through the clouds of white smoke and the flames stage before getting a coal bed. A coal bed is what you need to cook on not a fire of little sticks. A way to get around this with an off set smoker is to pre heat your wood before adding to firebox. Some just put the wood on the firebox others have bricks in a semi circle in the firebox with the wood place at the top of the brick out of the flames reach till needed.
    Even with an in closed firebox you’ll find yourself having to feed the fire every hour or so.
    The hasty bake runs primarily on charcoal with wood chunks for the flavour.
    Pic shows wood chunks, banksia nuts in this case being preheated before adding to the charcoal in the Akorn kamado.

Regards Dave

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!