The most dangerous cooking accessory I've ever bought

• Sorry about the click-baity title, but this thing may well end up killing me softly with it's love.

I'm talking about a chip cutter. Specifically the Vogue Potato Chip Cutter.

Over the years I've been left highly unimpressed by gadgets that help the making of the best food in the world: hot chips. I've had gadgets and trinkets that claimed to help the average potato lover to quickly cut a potato into perfect chips, and pardon the pun: they never cut it. Or at least not for long. They've always been so bad that I've never used them more than a couple of times before relegating them to the back of a kitchen drawer until finally a clean-up would lead to permanent separation.

Through the wonders of the online world I became attracted to a small commercial kitchen version. It looked the part. I fantasized about the great possibilities and took the plunge without doing much research. I must say it has been a wonderful experience so far (2 weekends) but not without its drawbacks.

The biggest issue is the sheer amount of space it needs. It's a heavy and solidly built gadget, but I realised after receiving it that it didn't have any rubber feet (I didn't scan the above pic from the website carefully enough), so it wasn't going to stay neatly on my counter as it expected to be screwed down. Not only that, but after reviewing a few videos online it became apparent that ideally it wanted to be screwed vertically!

In for a penny, in for a pound. I thought I'd go along for the ride to see where it took me. I pulled together a couple of old bits of wood I had laying around, screwed it together and bingo.

I've timed it. It takes me a total of 22 minutes to go from the thought "I feel like some chips" to putting the first one in my mouth:

- Put oil in wok and turn on wok burner flame on the stove at full blast

- Take approx 1Kg of pre-washed potatoes and only peel the bad bits off them

- Rinse and dry the potatoes

- Feed the potatoes to the cutter and in a flash you have a bowl of perfectly cut chips of the french fry category (not quite shoestring, but quite a bit thinner than your average takeaway shop chips

- By this stage the oil is ready, so in they go for 16-17 minutes

- Salt, eat and reflect on the fact that life is good

I made 5 batches last weekend. The second batch got burned as I took my eye off the ball and left them on there for 4-5 minutes too long.

This weekend I'm on 4 batches so far. I've refined the cooking time and can produce golden goodness with little effort time and time again.

My only concern is that it's so easy that it can become dangerous.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• That's the one. I got it from nisbets.

I have the 6mm on backorder because we want to try shoestring fries. But IMO the 9.5mm is the perfect size.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• Oh and Costco have this awesome sunflower oil from Turkey which is perfect for chips.

The choice of potato makes a big difference and so far I've achieved the best results using kestrel potatoes. Not a big potato, but very good for frying.

• Did you get them at Bunnings? That looks cool, let me know if it works out well. I might change mine over. The frame works so well, but takes up heaps of room.

• Also did you get the shoestring attachment? I ended up cancelling my backorder when they told me it would be June delivery.

I'm making chips at least once or twice a week at the moment. Kestrel potatoes from Costco. Don't put them in the fridge. Seriously awesome results.

• I put in an order on the suction cups. I might not use them right away, but I'd like the option.

While I was there I decided to take a punt on this. Not sure if it will be compatible, but it looks the same and has the same dimensions for the square sides:

ChefWurx 1/4 ” Cutting Blade — Commercial Grade French Fry Cutter Replacement Blade, Slice Potatoes into 1/4” Shoestring Carnival-Style French Fries – Compatible with ChefWurx Commercial Fry Cutter https://amzn.asia/d/ggIzb4k

I'll be receiving it in April and report back on compatibility.

• I've never tasted a shoestring fry that I thought wouldn't be better thicker. Each to their own I guess.

The default 9mm size will be hard to best. The chips I've been making have been among the best I've ever had. No multiple frying necessary, perfect cruch. A perfectly balanced fry.

But playing with the shoestring (6mm) size would be fun.

• I've never tasted a shoestring fry that I thought wouldn't be better thicker.

Yer, I like thick chips too. The bride wanted a change here so shoestrings it is as a second.

That blade now has a delivery of June with Nisbit's, however they applied a decent discount on both the cutter and second blade to compensate.

• While I can't vouch for it yet because I've not used it, I can confirm that the chefwurx shoestring attachment is compatible with the vogue potato cutter.

Same shape and size, holes in the same place and compatible with the screws that are used by the vogue. It does use some slightly different parts by the look of it though.

I'll be trying it this weekend.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!