• G’day

Up till now I’ve made bacon out of pork belly . Dry brined salt sugar spices ( no cure) on the pork belly. In the fridge in a clip lock bag. Flip dayly remove and soak to remove the excess salt. Hot smoke vac pack and freeze, for a great food safe bacon.

Now the wife’s likes short cut bacon which is basically Canadian bacon or the pork loin.

Bit thicker than a pork belly. The smokes not gunna penetrate as well so I recon I’ll have better get some cure for that pink colour all the way through.

That’s when the fun began. Navigated an internet full of calculators in lbs and gallons. Skin on skin off. Kosher salt……
    Finally found a simple straight forward one. Equilibrium curing so you should have to soak away the excess salt

40 % water to weight of meat.

.25% No 1 cure to weight of meat

2.25% sea salt to weight of meat.
    As straight foward as that.

I’ve added 40 ml maple syrup for taste

Cracked pepper and whole peppercorns.

https://eatcuredmeat.com/meat-curing-calculator-tool-equilibrium-curing-brining/

Warning this site has some things for sale …me I’m only here for the calculator which is free.

In a clip lock bag for a week flipping dayly. Yes also now have a cheap injector so injected some brine.

Regards Dave

• Gday

Wednesday got the pork out off its brine. Soaked in a sink of cold water for an hour then put onto a rack in the spare fridge to dry out.

Thursday, full of doctors dentist and X-rays so only got the pork on the smoke in the Arvo. On the acorn junior with hickory chips. Got to 65C internal after 3 hours. Bit…. No…. Lots more brown than expected. Never been this dark I the past. Let it cool then wrap in a couple of metres of glad rap. Let’s get it to mellow out before I slice it.

Even if it proves too be over smoked, it could always be used to flavour things in little amounts ….

• Gday

Today I sliced and vac packed. Fried a couple of bits up. So good. Perfect salt level and not to smoky like I feared. But after packing it I realised that once I give everyone that’s interested a taster they’ll not be much left for me so I’ll have to make another. Other than that I’m really pleased with the results

Regards Dave

• Looks like it came out how it's meant to be Cobbler. Nice work mate! Do you have Juniper berries? I think I have a life time supply. Can send you a hand full to try out. Only need a few berries per batch. You will love them or hate them. I am on the fence on them. I think I prefer what you did.

• Only just saw this thread, looks great, thanks for sharing, it's on my list to give this a go.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Looks like it came out how it's meant to be Cobbler. Nice work mate! Do you have Juniper berries? I think I have a life time supply. Can send you a hand full to try out. Only need a few berries per batch. You will love them or hate them. I am on the fence on them. I think I prefer what you did.

Gday

Mmmmmm juniper berries sounds interesting. Can’t say I’ve ever tasted them what are they like?

Regards Dave

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!