Better - The plate or the grate better to cook steak?

• Depends how close I can get the grate to the flames. I usually put a trivet on the rack that is meant for the heat deflector, so flames surround the steaks.

If I have other stuff happening on the main grate then I use a flat plate else it just takes too long to sear and the internal temp overshoots. That's with a reverse sear.

• Having flame lick at your steak and the drips of fat is a key to flavour.

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• If a T-Bone, it's definitely grate, is it's a scotch or Porterhouse, it'll depend on the fat Marbling but generally plate.

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue) Weber Q3200 black NG

• Huge flame and grates for me. You want those juices dripping to the flame and coming back as tasty smoke.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Did a cheeky Scotch on the GA the other night when the wife was away for work. Just use an old grill cut down from my old gasser. Much better results that the grill that comes with the GA

20" Reverse flow Offset, Weber GA, Weber kettle

• I'm strugging with the same dilemma. I sous vide my steaks beforehand and just finish on the grill.

I use the Akorn and get it ripping hot on the grate (500C) and get a real smoky char flavour. But i'm contemplating buying a cast iron pan to put on top or buying a Kamado Joe half moon flat grill so I can try a less smoky version (perhaps with some herb butter or similar)

• I sous vide my steaks beforehand and just finish on the grill.

A blow torch is another inexpensive option for sous vide that works really well. And is very fast with no warm up time.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I'm strugging with the same dilemma. I sous vide my steaks beforehand and just finish on the grill.

I use the Akorn and get it ripping hot on the grate (500C) and get a real smoky char flavour. But i'm contemplating buying a cast iron pan to put on top or buying a Kamado Joe half moon flat grill so I can try a less smoky version (perhaps with some herb butter or similar)

roflbbq Try different lump charcoal. Each different type adds a different smokiness to the food. Try mixing in some robot turds as well.

Edited once, last by 12x7 (April 14, 2024 at 11:42 PM).

• Prefer Grate than plate. I was always sausages on plate and steak on grate. Although recently have been using grate on my babyweber to cook sausages.

I have also discovered that the half baby Weber plate fits inside the Akorn jr which will help when I go camping. Particularly if I am doin bacon and eggs.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• I've sometimes used the hotplate on the Q3200 on the Weber kettle for some sizzle if i needed more hotplate space than the round griddle that i bought for the Gourmet rack.......very useful tool. I love to do veggie stirfries on it .

Weber Performer (Sage) Weber Jumbo Joe (Black) Weber Master Touch Plus (Deep Ocean Blue) Weber Q3200 black NG

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!