Head Beads Lump Charcoal 20kg no longer available

• We might be seeing another shrinkflation at Bunnings with Head Beads Lump Charcoal with the 20kg bag ($59.50 - $3 per kg) dissappearing to be replaced with 12kg bag for $39.95 at $3.33 per kg which is a 11% increase in price per kg.

Edited once, last by 12x7 (April 3, 2024 at 8:19 PM).

• Well sad day indeed, my Bunnings was out as well. While looking at what else was there another bloke came by looking in the same spot lol.

This charcoal I've really liked using for the price, quantity and price per kg. I've got about 1/4 bag left and that's lasted me ages, previously used the charcoal in a homemade hibachi style grill I came across.

I used the Char-Griller Premium Lump Wood Charcoal and found it worked well but the sizes of charcoal were very inconsistent, like you would have 2-3 huge chunks of charcoal and the rest were tiny pieces.

Any recommendations for replacement charcoal? What do you guys use normally?

• Well sad day indeed, my Bunnings was out as well. While looking at what else was there another bloke came by looking in the same spot lol.

This charcoal I've really liked using for the price, quantity and price per kg. I've got about 1/4 bag left and that's lasted me ages, previously used the charcoal in a homemade hibachi style grill I came across.

I used the Char-Griller Premium Lump Wood Charcoal and found it worked well but the sizes of charcoal were very inconsistent, like you would have 2-3 huge chunks of charcoal and the rest were tiny pieces.

Any recommendations for replacement charcoal? What do you guys use normally?

Clean Heat is my usual, can usually get an 18kg bag from Drakes for around $39. Otherwise Gaganis is reasonable too for about the same price, can get it at Drakes too.

• No from a local butcher who also sells KJ’s as well. 2 bags for $77.

Sells KJ’s and Traeger as the nearest BBQG is 20-30 mins away. Local BBQGin Capalaba closed down so he stepped up. Has a butcher and BBQ shop. BBQ shop has everything but is not overly cheap. But it’s local.

The charcoal as I say is no5 cheap but I do like it a lot. Burns well with low ash.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• Sells KJ’s and Traeger as the nearest BBQG is 20-30 mins away. Local BBQGin Capalaba closed down

Not surprised it closed if it’s one of those new style ones. Used to have the old style with lots of stuff in it. They new moved it to Westfield and gave it the new lifestyle look. Looks pretty but useless if you want to buy something heavy. Old store you could load up the car from the loading dock. In Westfield you have to lug it around the shopping centre.

You can tell BBQG must be having problems because of all the regular discounting.

• Any recommendations for replacement charcoal? What do you guys use normally?

I like the 18kg prosmoke bags from bbqs galore. Not the smaller bags though, it isn't the same stuff. The 18kg bag is tightly stacked branch, bag is kind of rectangular.

I wait for it to go on sale - so far I've been lucky with that.

• 12x7 you hit the nail on the head. Now at Carindale Westfield.

Been there and not impressed.

This guy is local and I am happy to support him as he is having a go.

The meat is good too.

Lamb Shoulder is $10 a kg this weekend. I am thinking a great weekend to do a pulled lamb.

Enjoy your "Q"
    James

Primo XL, GMG Davy Crockett, Char-Broil Grill2go, Akorn Jr and Weber Baby Q.

• Gday

Capalaba BBQG closed and a Weber store opened ….. and it’s expanding now as well.
    I’ve been to Carindale BBQqg after a grill grate for a mates grill ….. clueless. Eventually hade to go on line with the usual wait. And wait ……

So what do you do? Don’t know …. face of retail is changing. Going to a real place and putting your hands in a real thing and talking to someone with real experience.
    Someone give me an idea?

Regards Dave

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!