• So I've started trying to teach myself how to make cheese. There seems to be a bit of interest in the subject so thought I'd create a thread to document what mess I get myself in ^^

First cab off the rank is some Brie style cheeses. I've got them wrapped in the fridge currently. The photo below is the mould covering them not long before I wrapped them, they looked pretty good at that point. I'm now setting up a small fridge with a temp controller to use as a cheese cave. Once that's set up I'll be attempting my first pressed cheese, a Butterkase, so stay tuned for mouldy mayhem :/

Akorn Kamado, 12Qt &9Qt Spinifex camp ovens, spun steel camp oven, Kings <X battery spit.

• Found a local source for both raw cows milk and goats milk today so I reckon I'm going to end up buried in cheese before I know it 🤣

Akorn Kamado, 12Qt &9Qt Spinifex camp ovens, spun steel camp oven, Kings <X battery spit.

• Post by PLButcher (May 10, 2024 at 1:27 PM).

This post was deleted by the author themselves (May 10, 2024 at 1:35 PM).
  • Oooooo cool bananas!! If you ever want someone to bounce ideas off.... hit me up. Also if you're on Facebook there is a very good group dedicated to cheesemaking and run by experts in their field. Flick me a PM and I'll send you a link.

This is my cheese fridge :)

Suggestions - keep well written notes, Have a solid affinage plan and sanitise EVERYTHING! There are 72 different ways of getting contamination.

• Oooooo cool bananas!! If you ever want someone to bounce ideas off.... hit me up. Also if you're on Facebook there is a very good group dedicated to cheesemaking and run by experts in their field. Flick me a PM and I'll send you a link.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm always hungry for information when I'm learning something new so I'll check out that Facebook group as well, if I'm not already on it, I'll send you a PM :thumbup:

Cheers,

Dave.

• Well I had my first attempt at making a pressed cheese yesterday and what a fun ride it was :/ Decided on a Butterkase, a mild german cheese that I know I like. I don't yet have a cheese press but I've seen online where you can just put weight on top of the follower in the mold and press it that way, too easy. So I followed the process, cut the curds, washed the curds, got them into the mold and set about finding some weight to put on top. I settled on a large pot with 5 litres of water in it to give my close to 6kgs pressing weight, genius!

I soon found out that there is no way you'll ever get the weight centred properly and the cheese will not press evenly. What this means is that the pot starts to lean to one side, slowly at first, but then takes off like lightning and ejects the 5 litres of water clean across the kitchen =O In my panic to save the cheese I quickly refilled the pot, set it all up again and got to cleaning up the mess I'd made. What is it they say about idiots repeating the same actions and expecting different results? Yep, another 5 Litres of water went sailing across the kitchen but this time the cheese also ended up on the floor with the watery mess ;(:cursing:

I eventually came up with a functional way to press the cheese without making a mess but who knows if the cheese has been contaminated or even pressed properly.

I brined the cheese today anyway, it's now air drying for a day or two and then will get vac packed and go into my temperature controlled cheese cave that I haven't yet built :eek: Tomorrows job haha. I've also ordered a cheese press :D:D

• ^^ we've all been there at some point, maybe not with cheese making, but we've all had disasters. Sounds like you rescued it well, hopefully the patient is still alive.

Geez 10 litres of water to clean up must have been fun!

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• ^^ we've all been there at some point, maybe not with cheese making, but we've all had disasters. Sounds like you rescued it well, hopefully the patient is still alive.

Geez 10 litres of water to clean up must have been fun!

Time will tell if she survives or becomes a fungus infected zombie cheese <X^^ The initial 5 litre cleanup was going ok. The second 5L made the kitchen a "no go" zone for anyone except myself :mad as: but we all lived to tell the tale.

• Well, for better or worse the cheese is vac packed and put away to age for 4 weeks, I'll see what it looks/smells like then and see if it's worth eating.

It's a Butterkase, which is butter cheese in German, but we are calling it Bodenkase in honour of it's unauthorised excursion on the floor :curses:

Got the cheese aging cave assembled yesterday. A new but cheap 126L bar fridge and an Inkbird temp controller. Should do the trick I reckon. I might look at humidity control down the track but only when I want to do some natural rind cheeses.

• Hehehe the leaning tower of Chees-a. Have a expert cheese maker friend - she uses small buckets stacked with the mould in the bottom, the next filled with warm water on top of the follower and then another bucket with warm water on top of that (warm water helps the cheese press properly) Even with a proper cheese press I often end up with a wonky looking cheese.

Once you put my meat in your mouth, you're going to want to swallow.

• Actually buckets sound like a good idea, at least they could only lean so far over 🤔 My cheese press arrived this morning 👍 i only ordered it late Tuesday evening, so wow, impressive shipping time. Looking forward to having a less stressful second attempt in a couple weeks.

• Actually buckets sound like a good idea, at least they could only lean so far over 🤔 My cheese press arrived this morning 👍 i only ordered it late Tuesday evening, so wow, impressive shipping time. Looking forward to having a less stressful second attempt in a couple weeks.

Yeah I can post a letter to a friend in the same town and it takes 2 weeks to get there - ordered a pasta machine from Amazon AU and got it the next day lol. Good luck with your new press!

• How can it age in a vacuum? It does not need air to age?

The theory is that there is enough oxygen within the cheese to facilitate aging. My guess would be that a short age would probably be ok but longer aging times might have more effect. I don't know all the details but a lot of people do it successfully so I'm running with it for now.

• Sorry for laughing out loud, but I can picture myself doing the same thing. :D

Hopefully the first 5l washed the place enough to take care of any bacteria.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• The theory is that there is enough oxygen within the cheese to facilitate aging. My guess would be that a short age would probably be ok but longer aging times might have more effect. I don't know all the details but a lot of people do it successfully so I'm running with it for now.

Works on the same theory as waxed cheeses - it will still age due to the enzymes and microbial activity - it just will not end up as a dry rind cheese.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!