Matador Radiant Go BBQ - as bad as reviewers say it is?

• Howdy,

The Matador Radiant Go is everything I'm looking for in a BBQ but there are multiple reviews on Bunnings saying that the bottom air vent is too restrictive/small to keep briquettes/charoal burning hot. Naturally, there are positive reviews too.

Does anyone who owns one have any advice regarding this? I'd mainly be using it to reverse sear chicken, hence, high temperature lid-on cooking needs to be possible for me.

Link: https://www.bunnings.com.au/matador-radian…al-bbq_p0096795

Cheers!

• I'd be curious to know if it gets hotter with the lid off, may get hot enough that way with all the extra air flow. If you keep the charcoal in the middle, or even to a side, when that hot air convection gets cranking it may well also draw air from the top and side to feed that fire.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I'd be curious to know if it gets hotter with the lid off, may get hot enough that way with all the extra air flow. If you keep the charcoal in the middle, or even to a side, when that hot air convection gets cranking it may well also draw air from the top and side to feed that fire.

It's possible that could work. However, I wouldn't want to do that due to the massive increase in charcoal consumption that would incur.

• I'm trying to get my head around the need to reverse sear chicken.

It's not something I've heard of?

I prefer to reverse sear it because I'm not a fan of the massive amounts of smoke that is produced when the chicken fat renders and falls on the coals (and I doubt my neighbours are either).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!