masterbuilt autoignite series 545

• So this is both new to market, and on sale at bbqsg for $800:

Buy Masterbuilt AutoIgnite™ Series 545 Digital Charcoal Grill and Smoker at Barbeques Galore.

I've watched a few videos on it, and I'll link a few below. The difference compared to a gravity model is the smaller firebox physically inside the grill. This is cast iron so you can sear on top of the firebox. In tests, a long cook might require a topup halfway which doesn't bother me personally.

Also interesting is (as in the linked videos) carefully using small wood splits instead of charcoal. That seems fun as well.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery? I've been figuring out what will replace my rusty old dragon kamado for a while now and this seems pretty interesting.

First look and cook with it:

Is This The BEST Sub $500 Grill of 2024?
    First Look & Cook on the NEW Masterbuilt AutoIgnite Series 545. According to the Masterbuilt press release, the New AutoIgnite Series 545 Is A Digital charco...
    youtu.be

Ribs with live fire:

Can Masterbuilt's New Sub $500 Grill Smoke Ribs With REAL Wood Splits?
    I Ran A Wood ONLY Fire In The NEW Masterbuilt Autoignite 545 Series To Make Some St. Louis Smoked Ribs to find out how far I can push this grill into legitim...
    youtu.be

Brisket with live fire:

Live Fire Brisket On Masterbuilt Autoignite 545 VS Goldens Cast Iron Kamado
    This video didn't start as a head to head between the Masterbuilt Autoignite 545 and the Goldens Cast Iron Kamado... BUT after doing two brisket videos on th...
    youtu.be
  • Looks like a larger version of the portable with a better temp control.
    Personally after having a 560 for nearly 4 years and enjoying it and giving it a proper flogging I’d much rather invest in a better kamado, bullet or drum. They’ll last forever, don’t need power and once you learn to control them they are set and forget.
    Just my thoughts but if you get one look forward to seeing how it goes.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• better kamado, bullet or drum. They’ll last forever, don’t need power and once you learn to control them they are set and forget.
    Just my thoughts but if you get one look forward to seeing how it goes.

I like my kamado but it lacks cooking space and I like hanging meat, so a drum would make sense. The Pit Boss Champion drum is $400 at Bunnings (oddly cheap compared to USA). Albatross BBQ has a number of videos using this and aside from it chewing through fuel about 5 times faster than my kamado I like it a lot.

It's probably possible to increase efficiency with some firebricks in the bottom and a welder's blanket around the outside. I don't know if that would be a significant improvement though. (Anyone have thoughts on that?)

The MB 545 appeals in a different way:

• sear on the firebox (i.e. not having to crank it so much at the end just for 5 minutes of searing)
    • having a rectangle to stand in front of and cook on with the lid off, something my kamado fails at because with the lid open, the fire takes off.
    • being able to mix in some wood splits for fun and flavour

Obviously the answer is to have both BBQs (or all three :D ) but that's not an option - $$$.

• Yeah mate, so many options. Never bothered with fire bricks or blankets with my drums as I’ve never had a full size Kamado so I’ve never compared the difference in charcoal use.
    Don’t know where you’re located but I’d give my 560 to someone that’s looking to get one so they can try it!

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• A bit unsure how unbiased the videos were after watching but it looks like it’s another of those situations of you get what you pay for.

If you want to try it out buy one. Don’t like it? Sell it on Gumtree for $400.

• A bit unsure how unbiased the videos were after watching but it looks like it’s another of those situations of you get what you pay for.

If you want to try it out buy one. Don’t like it? Sell it on Gumtree for $400.

Oh, he's definitely in middleby's pocket.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!