Posts by Emberpak

If you see a "HT" symbol on the pallet, you're ok as that is a heat treated pallet.

If it has an "MB" symbol, avoid it as that is treated with methyl bromide.

If there is no marking, avoid anyway as you can't be sure.

So, coming home from the country after Christmas, radio going in the background, and the song playing was King of wishful thinking.

Now, this song has the line "I'll pretend my ships not sinking", to which my 10 year old pipes up and asks, did he just sing "I'll pretend my sh!ts not stinking?"

Definitely wishful thinking there. :D

The battery in the video above is so new it had not yet been fully commissioned. Still burning today.

I'd be wondering if that Tesla Megapack was using NMC or LMP battery cells?

I am assuming that happened because of your proximity to Datsun, Toyota & Honda manufactures and later South Korea?

Toyotas were actually manufactured in Australia for over 50 years until 2017.

The downfall of our automotive industry was because our domestic market was too small, and produciton costs were too high for the export market. And the three manufacturers (Ford, GM/Holden & Toyota) didn't do themselves any favours either.

I think one of the problems is we produce so much rubbish nowadays. Once upon a time when rugby league players had a second job as garbos we could live with one bin (refer photo) which is a lot smaller than today’s bin collected once a week.

What I take from this is.... we need rugby players to be garbos again. :D

Instagram video in US.

GuyA parked on the side of the road with his hazard lights on. GuyB pulls up to help and GuyA says he’s out of gas (petrol). GuyB is confused as GuyA is driving a Tesla. GuyA explains he has run out of battery power and he has a gas powered generator in the boot to recharge the battery but it has run out of gas.

Is this a Tesla hybrid?

He's trying to make his own version of the Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust.

I've been about a dozen times and I'm always amazed at how big it is. You can easily lose your way wandering around amongst the exhibitors. You need several days to take it all in.

On my first visit the most amazing thing I ever saw there, I was standing at one exhibitor's stand and this African guy (well over 6', in traditional robes) walked up and started talking in fluent Mandarin.... without an accent! To say I was gobsmacked would be an understatement.

Where I came across this was in a Tom Clancy Jack Ryan book. The Chinese and Russian armies where using petrol stoves to cook their food in Siberia when they were deployed in the field.

Probably because unleaded has a very low freezing point. Somewhere around -50C. Diesel starts to gel around -10C.

Japan has been making different Kit Kat flavours for ages. I remember when students from our sister high school in Tokyo came over in the '90s. They brought a whole bunch of Kit Kat flavours with them. We were blown away with the varieties available. So we sent them home with Tim Tams, Kingstons, Tiny Teddies and Wagon Wheels.

It's kind of like how non-Aussies are surprised with all the Tim Tam flavours we have here, that are not available overseas. I sometimes send a box of 10-15 packs of different Tim Tam flavours to my friend in Florida. She goes nuts for them.

I have coffee black with no sugar and find robusta beans too bitter

Try Malaysian coffee. It is made using Robusto beans, but roasted with butter or magarine to remove the bitterness. Just don't brew it in any pot that you will use for anything else, or any nice looking mug. That stuff stains everything and is bloody hard to remove.

I used to love drinking Kopi Kosong in the mornings, whenever I visited my grandmother in Malaysia.

My previous array was 13 years old. Never had a problem with it in all those years. Inverter was an SMA Sunnyboy TL5000, paired with 30x180w UpSolar panels. Never had the system serviced, and it was still producing at peak 4.8kWh. Though, the SMA inverter was mounted in my garage, so that probably extended its life by not being subjected to the elements. Normally an inverter has a 10yr lifespan before you need to replace it. Panels should be good for 20+ years, barring any damage.

Now I have a 13.7kWh array; 33x415w Trina Vertex S Plus, paired with Enphase IQ7A microinverters. On a good day, I generate 80+kWh. With the new 415w panels, a 6kWh array is only 15 panels.

This doesn't support the view offered by those banning gas cooktops etc that electric is more eco friendly than gas.

Depends on your cooktop. When I'm using, yes the power usage hits 3-4kWh, but I'm not using the cooktop for the full hour. At most, I'm actually using the induction for 20-30min. Of course, that really depends on what you cook.

Induction is cheaper than electric element cooktops, as you do not have wasted energy heating the element and loss to the surrounding atmosphere. Similarly, gas cooktops waste energy to atmosphere loss. Induction is cheaper than gas because it is more energy efficient to heat up your cookware, and does it faster. I think I read somewhere that gas heating efficiency was around 30-40%, whereas induction is up around 85%.

In saying all that, gas is still cheaper than electricity (on a per unit basis) and technically more eco friendly. But as I have solar, it generates enough to cover my usage. Since updating my array, I have yet to import more than I net export.

We just need to invest more into renewables to make electricity more eco friendly. I don't know why we don't make it mandatory for all new houses to have a 6kw array on the roof.

Considering most induction cooktops require 3 phase power, I'm not suprised they can ruin cookware on boost mode. I had to run 3 phase for both my cooktop and oven stack. Power usage goes to 3-4kWh whenever I'm cooking, worse if I'm using the cooktop and both ovens.

I have the Asko hot plates (teppanyaki and grill plates) for use over 2 zones. I quite like them as they give a real good sear. Well made and has even heat distribution, though expensive.