Posts by Emberpak

Briquette, especially the pillow shaped ones, will always crumble after being lit and extinguished. It is because the material is carbonised before being formed (eg coconut charcoal). The material that holds them together is only a small percentage of the total mass, and gets burned up pretty quickly. Sawdust briquettes hold up a bit better, as there is no binder ingredient and they are extruded before being carbonised, but it comes down to how much pressure was used to extrude the briquettes. Lump will always hold up better than briquettes, though.

No, they just put on short dates to move the product. It's not about stricter standards than what FSANZ dictate, it is just something to cover their butts. There is nothing unsafe about it as the product will be ok beyond the one or two days on the use by. Costco will claim that it is best to use the product before the use by because the quality cannot be guaranteed beyond that date, or if freezing to save it for beyond the use by and then thawing, it is best to cook it straight away.

They don't want you to buy that tomahawk steak and leave it sitting in the freezer for a few weeks. They want you to cook it right away, because you think it is going to expire, then go out and buy another one. Or buy the jumbo jar of mayonnaise, realise halfway through it has "expired" so you chuck it out and get another, but you don't worry because it was so cheap anyway.

Cheap petrol. What the price is for E10 outside, is what you are paying ULP98 at Costco. And diesel is usually 9 cents cheaper per liter.

With groceries, Costco will be cheaper than Coles/Woolies on items not on special. When Coles/Woolies put them on special, the price will be cheaper than Costco (even on bulk stuff). Good deals on booze, Penfolds Bin 389 was going for $75 the other day (few dollar cheaper than DM price) and Yarra Yering Dry Red No.1 was cheaper by $30 than out retail.

Not true. The US Navy was heavily involved with the film, even before there was a script. The USN allowed access to the Miramar base, using combat ready F-14s and four carriers, plus the pilots and crew. They only charged the producers for the fuel and pilots.

The USN basically saw the film as a recruitment ad made by Hollywood, but they would only co-operate if the film showed the military in a positive light. They were allowed to make changes to the script and omit/revise scenes during editing.

Vietnam has mangrove, plus a bunch of other hardwood charcoal (eucalyptus, konia, lychee, coffee wood, khaya, etc). I would not say Vietnamese mangrove is bad (you can get bad charcoal from anywhere), but it comes down to the manufacturer (eg are they cutting corners in production). Our white charcoal/binchotan is from Vietnam (made from lychee wood), and it is far better than our previous supplier who used Thai eucalyptus.

Indonesia is also a big supplier of mangrove charcoal, but I prefer not to buy from there. Too many bad experiences in the past with dodgy manufacturers. Not to mention the number of times a barge has caught fire, because they did not wait the requisite number of days to ensure the charcoal was fully extinguished before bagging. I've had issues where the bill of lading states 26.5mt (22mt of charcoal) for the container, but when it arrives at port, AQIS flag it because the container now weighs 23-24mt. Where that missing 2-3mt went is water evaporation.

Gotta tell you, Gumb. If it is coming out of Thailand, 9 times out of 10, it is mangrove. That is really the only charcoal they have that is readily available. Sure you get other types like eucalypt or some fruit wood, but they look completely different to what is in the Samba bag.

I love In-N-Out burgers! Whenever I'm in Cali, I have to go get a Double Double animal style with chopped chilis. And definitely agree their fries suck. The only thing that makes them worth eating is asking for animal style fries also with chopped chilis.

It can be done, but only with a special inverter that can isolate the house from the grid, so that no power is sent from the panels to the grid. Normal inverters have an anti-islanding switch, that detects the grid is done and shuts of the inverter. A hybrid inverter will detect the grid is off, then cut the circuit from the panels to the grid, so no power is exported. Once the inverter detects the grid is back on, it reconnects the circuit to allow power to be exported.

It's a tough all around. People are turning back to charcoal and wood etc heating due to blackouts (you can't use your solar panels on your house during this), brown outs, high gas and electricity prices, nuclear and coal power stations being closed.

Technically correct, but if you have solar batteries or an isolating inverter, you can use solar power during a blackout.

A guy and his date are parked out in the country away from town, when they start kissing and fondling each other. Just then, the girl stops and sits up. “What’s the matter?” asks the guy. She replies, “I really should have mentioned this earlier, but I’m actually a prostitute, and I charge $100 for sex.” The man thinks about it for a few seconds, but then reluctantly gets out a $100 bill, pays her, and they have sex. After a cigarette, he just sits in the driver’s seat looking out the window. “Why aren’t we going anywhere?” asks the girl. “Well, I should have mentioned this before,” replies the man, “but I’m actually a taxi driver, and the fare back to town is $120

I remember a story and accompanying vid that was making the rounds in the office, when I used to work at one of our larger supermarket chains. Incident was at our Wyong Distribution Centre.

A truckie rocked up to the gatehouse for a delivery, but was refused entry for not wearing a high vis vest and steel capped boots. Driver was a bit incredulous, but asked if that was all he needed to complete his delivery. Security guard said yes, and told him the local safety wear store opened at 8:30am. Driver left on the proviso he could be let straight back in after getting the gear (normally if you miss your timeslot, you're SOL). At 9am, driver is back with his load, wearing the vest and boots.... and nothing else.

Normally we would have scoffed at this story, but since there was CCTV footage from the guardhouse and driver rest area, we had to believe it was true.

yes its stupid here in QLD because the big supermarkets already own the liquor stores.

Actually, to own an off-premise liquor store, you needed a commercial hotel licence. That was why Coles and Woolies both started buying up hotels in Qld in the early 2000s.

ALH (Australian Liquor Holdings) was one of the major hotel groups that owned a bunch of attached off-premise licences. Woolies bought them out in a joint partnership with the Mathieson Group. Evenutally that all got rolled up into the Endeavour Group and spun off from Woolies.