Posts by werewolf

Swamptrout I use a JG for low and slow, I was going to get a slow and sear for the same purpose but the cost of the SnS put me off. The JG is mild steel (S&S stainless) so despite seasoning it, it has gone pretty gross. I could sand and re-season but it doesn't bother me.

I love using this setup for L&S , and yes water tray with boiling water under the grill and it ticks away for a long time. You can get an easy 8 or 9 hours without dropping temps at say 135degC, and you can get longer with running a lower temp or if you "overload" with briquettes so your grill flap sits on an angle you'll get a few more hours too. You could get "longer" with a snake, but I just love the convenience of lighting 20 beads, dumping them in a corner then filling the rest with unlit. You do need to pay attention when pre-heating, stopping down the vents as you go to hit your setpoint and settle the temps works best. If you go over it can get away from you as there is a bucket load of charcoal begging for a burning. This highlights an advantage over snake on cold/windy days where a snake can struggle to get over 100C as there is only so much charcoal that can be lit really but the JG (or S&S) you just have to give it more air and it will burn more of the minioned pile off.

Also, this setup makes it very, very easy to reload charcoal and add more smoking chunks too.

I've never actually used it, or the kettle for that matter, for the "sear" part of a reverse sear. I've only ever just cranked the gasser at this point instead of trying to time when I needed to get another chimney cranking to reload etc. I'm not convinced searing over charcoal compared to gas will give you any flavour anyway (particularly after a dedicated smoke phase). Either of these side loaders work great for low and slow, but honestly I wouldn't bother getting them to do a reverse sear myself.

Lazy Sunday arvo Coles pork Scotch conversion to pulled pork burgers. Smoked for a few hours with apple chunks, then wrapped with a bit of AJ for a few more. Had a little bottle of sauce that I got in a set at Christmas so mixed that through and delicious :yum)

Javelin Pros are only slightly slower then Thermopen Mk4, and $110 on Urban Griller's store (I was just looking at one lol). Thermopen One is the king of speed but at $$$.

Hunk of rolled beef. No idea what cut. The in-laws picked it up from a butcher on a roadtrip recently so I just gave it some Weber love to 66 deg and it came out a treat (for those that don't like car crash spec beef)

Thermopop are 3-4 s read, One is 1s.

For reference I have the cheap weber instant and I swear its a 10s read so I wouldn't mind something quicker, but wow $130 or so for the One is up there.

Ah no sorry guys; was cooking to a timeline and they were sliced about 10 min after taking out. Cheers for moving to its own thread. Thats a great idea as I was trying to find my post of last time I did a rack this size and couldn't find it :(

Big takeaway is this big spares take a lot of cooking! Baby backs (much leaner) seem to cook a lot quick, but the the big Costco Sunpork spares do take a decent amount of time to render down and relax. You'll notice there is a small bit of fat cap in sections on the before shot; I didn't even bother with touching that as I knew it would have plenty of time to render.

Loved the sweat heat; need to get some more I reckon it would go alright on wings too.

Costco uber sized pork ribs

Cooked a whopper 1.9kg rack of spares from Costco. These guys are huge and I know from past experience they take a long time to relax and go tender. The old American "3-2-1" that normally incinerates local shiners definitely applies here (the last rack I did took over 7 hours!). Basic cook was a smoke ~ 115-120 (where ever the kettle wanted to float really) for three hours initially with apple chunks, and I brushed on a mix of ACV and Bundaberg Lemon Lime and Bitters (don't judge me its what I had in the cupboard) a few times between the second and third hour to keep the moisture up. At the three hour mark, I double wrapped in foil, added another good splash of more of my make shift braising mixture, a few big slabs of butter and back in for the next two hours (3 to 5). Temps in this phase sat 130-140 as the kettle had aired up with the lid open while I was trying to get the ribs wrapped, but I would have tried to push it up a bit to supercharge that tenderisation. Note at this point they were still dense and rigid with no pull back yet showing after three hours! I was in it for the long haul with this cook! At the 5 hour mark, pull back was finally starting to show and the rack was getting that nice bit of flop in the tongs, so time to sauce up! Sauce was applied say three times over the next hour and served at the 6 hour mark after a brief rest (cooking to a deadline here folks!). Not a bad result in the end, self reflection though I would have been happier with an extra 30min in the wrap phase! Served with grilled corn, jacket taters and some coleslaw.