Posts by cobblerdave

G’day

Yep started myself.

Now that the regulators sorted a new set of grill grates $109 … bargain from the Weber shop.

A spay bottle of the Weber BBQ cleaner. Now I know this is a degreaser rather than a “oven cleaner@ it’s kind to the plastic on the frame and the lid paint.

Takes a couple of goes but in the end it’s clear of any baked marks. The paint is a bit chalky but clean at last.

Weber is giving me a new peso ignition and the missing handle spacer … no charge.. in the post.

Thanks Weber. I’m amazed. And grateful that the spares are available for my 2014 bbq.

G’day

Had to go to a part of town having a throw out and seen this poking its lid out a pile of outdoor chairs and tables.

Family Q missing its grates and various nuts and bolts found the missing side tables though. Req is shot rust stains from the breather attest to that. Take a reg off another bbq and the burners flash up. Pesso start needs replacing as well. Missing the spacer on the handle, bit strange.

It’s an AH marked so it’s a 2014 making it 8 years old.

Time to get some grates from the Weber store and ring Weber for the other bits and bobs.

Regards Dave

Gday

You can get side tables for these.

Weber 6527 Baby Q1000 Side Tables at The Good Guys
    Shop Online for Weber 6527 Weber Baby Q1000 Side Tables and more at The Good Guys. Grab a bargain from Australia's leading home appliance store.
    www.thegoodguys.com.au

They fit into the holes at the tabs on top of the handles.

They fold onto the bbq plate then you shut the lid.

Needles to say you need to tuck them away when cold

Definitly a great addition to a great little BBQ

Regards Dave

G’day

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Mine was bought go me about 6to10 months ago.

Been used and was sitting under cover on the back verandah. My son was interested in it but when we moved it it started crumbling.

Regards Dave

G’day

I discovered these things are made from caste diatomaceous earth. Full of air spaces that hold in the heat. It was operator error on my part as I’ve let it get wet at some stage and it’s soaked up heaps of water and that why it crumbled. So they need to be stored away or at least covered.

Hope this might help someone in the future

Regards Dave

G’day

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Mine was bought go me about 6to10 months ago.

Been used and was sitting under cover on the back verandah. My son was interested in it but when we moved it it started crumbling.

Regards Dave

G’day

Nup sorry it’s not a large Akorn. I’ve burnt a few hours of time on the junior now practicing with and without the TTT.

At the lower temps by the time the TTT opens up the fires dead. Lack of air flow I suspect. Using the junior without the TTT the upper vent is open if only on the little 1/2 round bits and the air flow is low but still there.

I’ve also done a bit of investigation and can’t find anyone that seems to be able to hold low temps with a TTT. Plenty of how I fitted the TTT but nothing really on its use on the junior.

I’m with jimmy with the top vent open a little bit and using a bbq controller to keep up the air flow.

I’ve had a TTT for a couple of years now and works a charm on a kettle ever a kettle with a rotissary on it. It just works and works well.

Much as I want it to work with the junior it doesn’t work at the smoking temps.

It can’t give you the consistency and trust it gives you with a kettle and that’s what I need. Thank god this little Akorn is so fruggle with charcoal that I could waste the time on just playing with it.

Regards Dave

G’day

You could try some Chinese or Indian stores that deal in foods and spices. In brissy I’d try Sunnybank for sure and not just the larger shopping centre either. In Logan central there was a Indian spice market I’ve brought some kiwi knifes from that had a few larger stock pots for restaurants. Don’t remember exactly where as I went only the once with a friend a number of years ago.

Good hunting

G’day

Working during the daylight hours at the moment but I’ll get a couple of pics eventually A pictures worth a thousand words.

On the mini the lid from the pot drops onto the base and forms a seal. Drop the pot on top and rivet it down. Then cut the base out of the pot with a jigsaw. Top lid fitted over the lip of the pot so no mods required there.

The rottissary was a bit more complicated. Top of the food grade drum has a lip

That fits over the kettle base, drum on that, tack rivet into position and like the mini cut out the middle. Tops a bit more complex.

The lid of the kettle doesn’t fit. So I cut that lip off. Using the 1/2 round strap that connects the top to the base a wrap it around the top of the drum. It’s got a nut and bolt that tightens it up to seal. Use that to make it smaller till the lid of the kettle fitted well then tac weld it together. A coat of Matt black paint covers even my welding

Regards Dave

G’day

Yes I’ve made one the pot was from bcf . Used a couple of $10 of bunnies cookers which gave me two racks. The aluminium prawn cooker fitted the lid of the cooker. The bottom I used the lid cut up to marry the pot to the base.

A lot of satisfaction to make and it worked which is more than a bonus. I’ll try and hunt up a pic.

I’ve also built a rottissary to fit a Weber kettle from a good grade 44 gallon drum. The lid will fit on the drum and again using the lid of the drum to fit to the base. You don’t have to have it to tall to build your kettle into a WSM. Kettle grill grates are simple to get and the bottom grate you use for a water tray. Top grate for your food. You’ve now got a 22inch Weber WSM

Regards Dave

G’day

A bit more experiments. And I’ve discovered a bit more about Akorn jr.

First it’s unreliable at 120c (250f) snuffs out pretty much ever time.

If you shoot for 135c (275f) to 150c (300f) you can get it to be very stable.

However you really need to be over 170c ( 350f) before the TTT works correctly.

So sadly the TTT doesn’t work in the smoking temps on the acorn jr don’t know about the larger acorn.

Not a complete loss though it’s still a great little cooker and does cook a great roast which the TTT handles like it does on the kettle.

Before I forget add a cup of vinegar to water and dish liquid mine looks like a new one

Regards Dave

G’day

Sorry should have reported earlier. Went for 7days before it stopped bubbling. Gave it a quick taste dry and a bit yeasty but not unpalatable. Took of the plastic wrap added 3 teaspoons of sugar and the original top.

Left for 5 days till the plastic bottle was hard to press in then put it in the fridge. Must be grassed by then. Tempted to decant it off the yeast but I’ll not bother. Will see me mate in a couple of weeks time as he’s moving and we’ll see how it drinks. A bit of time in the fridge will do it more good than than harm.

Regards dave

G’day

I delivered pizza when I was poor and had kids. The owner would make white pizza by rolling out the dough and letting it prove over a number of hours. Now thats plain pizza dough flour water salt and yeast.

When it rises you knock it down with your finger tips.

Put it in the pizza oven and just cook it till it skins so you can put the thinnest smear of crushed garlic on the top . Salt and back in the oven to finish cooking.

Let it just cool a little a drizzle of olive oil cut up and eat warm. Can’t be beaten.

It didn’t go to the customers as 10 mins in a pizza box and it was just plain ordinary. It has to be eaten as soon as it doesn’t burn your lips.

Regards Dave