Posts by cobblerdave

Gday

Woops. They also think of everything.
    My wife made off with the bubble wrap. Unknown to me it had a packet containing replacement screws taped to it as well. She gave them to me today (after she’d popped all the bubbles.)

Great the old ones were a bit battered, so they were welcome, thanks weber!

Thus far it’s had a new hose and reg. $32

New grates $110

New knobs $14

Replace my handle spacer FREE. ( thanks weber mugging dropped it in the grass then mowed the lawn)

New gas spark ignition again Free ( thanks weber)

And of course the the burner tubes $57

I could of course bought myself a cheap gasser for that but of course it would never last as long or have spares so ready avaliable. And it’s simple they work so well who would want anything other than a Q.

Regards Dave

Gday

I noticed the burners had started to rust again. About 6 weeks ago during a major yearly clean I gave the burners a lot of attention.

The holes on the main burners were starting to close up with rust. A good brush down with a wire brush then open up the holes with a hand held drill bit seemed to solve that one.

The small burner has oblong holes and one end was visibly closed up. Wire brushed the tube of course. The holes were a bit harder. I used fine engraving bits and some some awls I made from some cheap micro screw drivers.

Noticed early this week all the holes were closing up again and what looks like a crack starting in the smaller burner.

No mucking about this time. It’s a 2014 grill so it’s done well to get this far. Order and recieved a set of burners from Weber within a week. $57 …. Bargain!
    Ready for another 10 years!

Regards Dave

Gday

Capalaba BBQG closed and a Weber store opened ….. and it’s expanding now as well.
    I’ve been to Carindale BBQqg after a grill grate for a mates grill ….. clueless. Eventually hade to go on line with the usual wait. And wait ……

So what do you do? Don’t know …. face of retail is changing. Going to a real place and putting your hands in a real thing and talking to someone with real experience.
    Someone give me an idea?

Regards Dave

Gday

We are used to English style bacon. It has the loin at one end, the meaty bit, and the belly is the long bit attached to that with the streaks of fat and meat.
    So if you want American style order ” streaky bacon “ and you’ll get the belly no loin. If you want to wrap it easy get it without the rind.

Canadian bacon is the loin you can ask for “short cut”and you get the loin end.
    Time well spent is to get some store bought bacon and give it a cold smoke. Of course it’s good to make your own and pork loin and pork belly’s are easy to source.

They say streaky bacon is the masking tape of the cooking world ……. Wrap it around most things to fix it!

Regards Dave

Gday

My favoured way of cooking crumbed lamb cutlets. Shop bought just spray with olive oil and into individual paper bags and cook at 180 C for an hour. Aluminium foil and trivet in the Weber family Q for me. If you crumb your own leave in the fridge for the crumb to set for several hours.

The crumb gets crisp and plenty of lamb flavour from the rendering lamb fats. They don’t brown much though. The meat is nice and soft and moist in its steamy envelope. Even the gristly bits go to jelly in the slow cook.

When you think about it it’s a bit like butcher paper or oven bags.
    Regards Dave

They would call that an Oklahoma Fried burger over here!

Gday

Thanks for that. Now that I have a name I can look it up. I saw this being done on a you tube clip by a bloke in Chicago cooking smash burgers on a Weber Q on his balcony. Always cook the onions separately but doing it like this certainly infuses the onion flavour in the meat. It might have been originally to make the expensive meat go further but it’s a flavoursome way of cooking a burger that’s for sure

Thanks dave

Gday

7 to 10 days it should be done. You’ll notice a funky capsicum garlic smell. You might get a white mold on top don’t panic scoop it off and use it. If it doesn’t smell good or you get a dark coloured mold Chuck it out.

I had to go away for a few days so I just slowed things down by putting it in the fridge when I was away.

Turning it into sauce is as simple as putting it though the blender and straining out the pulp. I usually add some apple cider vinegar at about 20percent and a teaspoon of sugar to balance the salt.

You can bottle a refrigerate but remember it’s bugs are still alive and it will continue to produce CO2 so be prepared to leave the lid loose lest you get broken bottles.
    I’m not worried about the probiotics being live so I simmer in a pot for 10 mins to kill them off. The sauce will last a year that way in the fridge.
    You’ll find that things tend to settle and you’ll have to get used to shaking it up before use. I add 1/4 teaspoon of Xanthan gum. It’s a simple thickening agent non chemical non preservitive and available from woolies. This keeps it in suspension
    You’ll also find the heat drops a bit over time and the flavour mellows over time. So what starts out with you thinking “this is a bit hot and harsh” gets better and better till you run out and you start again Regards Dave

Gday

Have been making this for a number and of years.

Chillies … me old mate that used to grow these has past on. So I’ve tried with a number of ways.
    Store blought ..:: often treated and means the natural bugs are treated.

Markets …. But again you can’t tell if the natural bugs arnt treated .

These days use chilli’s, red capsicum, garlic onion and grated carrot.

In to a jar with a brine of a heaped teaspoon of salt in a cup of water. Again not to kill the natural bugs use a the water out of your boiled jug so the clorine is boiled off.

Into a jar. I use a old coffee jar wth a plastic on top held down a rubber band.

A week … 10 days if it doesn’t start to bubble after the first two days w add 1/2 a teaspoon of a natural yogurt to get those natural bugs going.

Regards Dav

Gday

An American inspired burger. The wife’s had a bit of input. The cheese is low fat and the buns low carb. But the meats my department and Its brisket patties. Never tried cooking the onion under the flipped burger before and will definitly doing that again. Sorry no plate shot the wife gets a bit antsy about that.

Regards Dave

Gday

Yep that’s the trick getting them cool enough not to overcook when you sear them but rather come back temp. Use the same for pork and lamb chops. Don’t think think it would work on a 50 mm (2 inch) tomahawk steak not that ive ever had one myself

Regards Dave

Gday

The wife wants steak. So I picked up a pair of $7.00 steaks on the way home from work. Not that thick not that marbled but a pair of sirloins none the less. Like the taste of sirloins and they are not to big a steak.

They came up to room temp on the passenger seat coming home. Ripped the sticky label off and straight in the sous vide in there vac packs. 55C and 1 hour only in the sous vide. Into a sink of cold water to cool down in thier vac packs whilst the Weber family hot plate got screaming hot. Seared the first side in mins then moved to the secound side on different part of the plate. No lid down that quik. Butter to glaze and add the salt they didn’t get before

And the results were great. Didn’t take long and we didn’t have to eat late. Sometimes the sous vide takes a bit of time and pre planning but this goes to show it doesn’t have to be.

Regards Dave

Looks like it came out how it's meant to be Cobbler. Nice work mate! Do you have Juniper berries? I think I have a life time supply. Can send you a hand full to try out. Only need a few berries per batch. You will love them or hate them. I am on the fence on them. I think I prefer what you did.

Gday

Mmmmmm juniper berries sounds interesting. Can’t say I’ve ever tasted them what are they like?

Regards Dave