Posts by guysmiley54

Hey guys, it's been a while but with the warmer weather right around the corner, I'm ready to fire up some BBQs and cook outside again :)

I have some pretty fantastic cookers including a large Everdure charcoal BBQ, GMG pellet grill, Roccbox etc. but not a gas griller of any description. This isn't a worry to me, but my wife is complaining that she hates the extra time and fuss around lighting solid fuel bbqs, especially on a weeknight family dinner. It doesn't help that I'm often late home from work... She has insisted that I buy a gas BBQ and who am I to complain about the idea of buying new toys :D

My main issue with gas BBQs in the past has been a slow heat-up and poor heating (not hot enough) in general. The gassers I have cooked on seem to have very uneven heating across the grill, flareups are a pain and cleaning is also a bother. As I have been online "window shopping" I have come across the Crossray infrared BBQ https://crossray.com.au/ These utilise gas-powered infrared burners that promise heat comparable to white-hot charcoal, very even heat up across the entire grill and self-cleaning (similar to pyrolytic ovens I guess?)

I'm very interested because it seems to tick many boxes for me (and also the rest of the family!) However, I am a little concerned about its versatility, reliability, and hefty price tag =O

For example, the burners aren't laid out horizontally left to right, but rather front and back - facing the centre:

Gas BBQ Infrared 3Crossray 4 Burner Built-In Barbecue – Tucker Barbecues

When cooking many different foods, I typically like to have 2 or 3 heat zones, but I'm guessing that would be almost impossible to do here :/ I've watched their promo videos and read their manuals and they recommend using the cooking shelf above for slower cooking items (like sausages etc) but I worry that if you are cooking steaks and want the grill ripping hot that the poor old snags will get cremated! Of course, using a bit of common sense and timing, these things can likely be overcome.

Has anyone here got any direct experience with this type of BBQ? Or perhaps, some more experienced outdoor cooks have considered this BBQ and decided not to purchase... Any thoughts or insights would be very much appreciated!

Happy BBQing :bbq:

Hi Kookabanus, The plate wasn't wide enough to support itself so I put it on top of the original grates. It did reach temperature easily but I think the GMG slows down heat production when the lid is open (possible to improve pellet efficiency) so that may have contributed to the fast cool down.

I reckon I can get a pretty fierce heat in my charcoal BBQ for smash burgers next cook. For bacon and eggs, or snags for the kids I think the sold plate could still work in the GMG. It's all about trial and error hey!

Thanks

Hey guys!

I ended up getting a cast iron jobbie from Bunnos: https://www.bunnings.com.au/matador-cast-i…-400mm_p3171355 $55 over $300+ it was an easy choice really.

I plan to use it as a typical flat top style cooker for general grilling duties. The kids (and I) have a thing for smash burgers at the minute and they're just too painful to do in big batches in a frying pan. BTW Gumb, no gasser at my house!!! :doh: (unless you count my Roccbox)

First attempt was OK. It came up to temp beautifully. I used an IR temp gun and with the GMG set to 350F the plate actually reached 400-450 F in some parts of the plate. It is far hotter in the back but that is typical in my BBQ. The only real downside was that it cools down very quickly with the lid open. Smash burgers require a bit of fiddling around with the lid open and I lost 30-40% of the heat on the plate before I was able to close it again. Bear in mind, I had preheated for 30-40 minutes prior to cooking so it should have done better IMHO.

Maybe next time I'll use it on my Everdure Hub charcoal BBQ as that won't suffer cool down at all during cooking and give a much better heat for the application.

Nice to chat with you guys again. Fire bans permitting (We've been pretty good in Tassie) let's hope this is another cracking outdoor cooking season :bbq::cheers:

Hi gang, it's been a while but I'm back outside cooking with wood again :) I've been wanting a flat plate for my GMG Daniel Boone and I'm tossing up between the official GMG griddle accessory or just a spare cast iron BBQ plate from Bunnings?

Has anyone tried the griddle or put a flat plate on their GMG?

Thanks guys :)

Thanks mate :thumbup:

For the Maxi (definitely different in a traditional brick oven) I like to get a big fire to start with, push it to the side and wait (not long!) for the temp on the dial to come down to 400C. A minute or two before launch, I chuck 2 or 3 kindling sized pieces on the fire, this gets a flame going and gets the roof to well over 500 on my IR temp gun. Cook with the door on, a few turns and it's done in around 2 minutes.

I think keeping the base a little cooler gives a slightly longer cook and a crispier finish. While not 100% traditional Neapolitan I think it makes a delicious pizza. The (slightly) longer cook also reduces the San Marzano Tomatoes a little more which brings a rich sweet quality which I love :D

Hi

Just checking if the dough recipe is using a thick or watery starter. I don't think it makes a huge difference but may require a small adjustment.

Ta

Ga

Hi Grant, fair enough question I reckon. I always keep my starter simple: 1/2 water 1/2 flour or when feeding: equal parts starter, water and flour. I have tried to adjust for the water content present in the starter with my hydration calculations but honestly I think that it over-complicates things. If you keep your recipe consistent you can always adjust the hydration % in the master recipes. I've had hydration much higher and also much lower but found 60% to be the best balance between rise (water makes steam which gives "oven spring") and work-ability (super wet sticky dough can be a pain to work with!)

Using bakers percentages this is my recipe for the dough:

Flour 100%
    Water 60%
    Salt 2.5%
    Starter 15% (recently fed and active)

• Combine all ingredients but hold back around 25% of your flour.
    • Give it a quick 2 minute mix to combine
    • Let it rest for 20 - 30 minutes (autolyse)
    • Mix for 5 minutes - slowly adding the rest of the flour as you go
    • Rest for another 20 minutes
    • Weigh out your dough for desired dough portions
    • Roll into balls and store in the fridge

Store in the fridge until needed for at least 1 day but optimally 2-3 days rest will produce puffy, non elastic, tender dough balls. If you were using dry or fresh yeast they will likely over-prove after 3 days but sourdough will take much longer in the fridge to rise so need to worry if you still have leftovers (like I did!).

At my pizzeria we keep the dough in a temperature controlled fridge so they don't take long to prove once out of the fridge. If you are using your home fridge, just take your sourdough balls out a few hours earlier and leave them in a warm place to finish proving and warm up for better handling.

It all sounds a little fiddly but the amount of active working time is very low. The best part of slow refrigerated storage is that the window for making pizza is very wide. In my family I can't always dictate when we will have a "pizza party" but if I have a batch on the go, I'm ready at short notice! To be honest, now that the shop is up and running - I just grab a batch of dough from work and save myself the bother!

Good luck and take lots of photos for us all to see :)

The weather is improving in Tassie so I'm starting to head back outside again... Love this oven, so easy for weeknight pizza! Sourdough pizza from my nearly 2 year old starter. No additional yeast used. 5 day slow ferment, cooked at 400C. San Marzano, Buffalo Mozzarella, Reggianio, Fresh Basil, EVO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of the kind words guys, I appreciate it!

We're called Luma (short for illumination as we have a very cool lighting effect built into the translucent ceiling...) and you can see a fair bit more on our Facebook https://www.facebook.com/lumapizzabar/

The concept is Neo-Neopolitan pizza, small tasting plates, shared plates, craft beer (6 taps) boutique wine and spirits. The oven is kept around 500C on the dome and around 400 on the floor (that's the ideal but not always exactly reality!) Apart from an immersion circulator (sous vide) the wood oven is the only heat source in the venue. Dishes like the pork neck and lamb ribs are prepared sous vide and then finished in the ultra hot oven, it works beautifully. The other point of difference is that we have a 7 metre long communal table made of poured concrete. It's positioned in front of the wood oven and we use it as the chefs working space. The customers all sit around and watch the cooking, finishing and plating.

I'll post some more when I get a minute... There's heaps of cool BBQ/meat related stuff that we do (cold smoking, Chicharrón, funky bar snacks)

today is gonna be the day

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

https://youtu.be/Rnq-EyNbzMA

That is dead sexy. Wow!!