Posts by Ray C

Anyone know if they are grain of grass fed?

Bently, Harvey Beef is Western Australia biggest beef exporter. The do both grain fed and grass fed animals. They also do "customer" kills, for the Japanese. Those are big 300 day grain fed yearlings with marbling that you can only dream about...

i have just spoken to Ben Martella. He will definitely be at the demo on the weekend. He is keen to talk to people from the forum and organise some Harvey Beef product for those who want it...

Im not too sure if he will be there, but BEN MARTELLA is the sales manger for Harvey Beef. If he is, talk to him, he would know who stocks them in the metro area. I can access them from the abattoir, my dad works there and my mate is the supervisor of the boning room. I am trying to organise a couple of cartons but my location makes it hard to service people in metro area...

I'm always on the look out for Harvey beef short ribs but have never seen them in shops IV only seen their briskets once at a shop, most of us use CG short ribs & brisket when there could be some quality local products on our door step but those cuts seem hard to find, what's your opinion on there short ribs & brisket

Ive nevr had CG product. Im still a toddler in bbq age ^^ . My mate who is a Supervisor at Harvey Beef got me some of their grain fed brisket and short ribs. Excellent marbling, not a lot of waste. Some of the actual boning was below what i would have accepted when i was supervising the boning room but im a fussy so and so...

Thanks for sharing that great writeup Ray.

One of the boys out here has invited me to join in when they do their annual sausage making and after seeing how you've done it I can't wait.

Cheers, Wayne

Yeah its a great day. Everyone does something different, some people use Paprika for colour, but my dad says its too powdery, so he grows his own sweet chillies for colour. Aniseed is not something a lot of people use, but we do. Some put black pepper in, other put garlic also.

Hand stuffed..as in no piping? If so, any reason why?

I saw it done on TV show once, Hungarians or Russians I think...would not have believed it could be done if I had not seen it!

If you look at pic 7, you will see a hand operated filler, red nozzle on it. When i said "by hand" i meant no mechanical devise... Casings are cut at 16 inches and pre tied. Every sausage is the same size then.

Everything went like clock work, as it always does... My dad is meticulous when it comes to making snags.
    *Not a lot of meat left on these. I am a certified beef boner, so dad expects all the meat to come off the bone
    s
    *Italian quality mincer does the next bit...

*Mince is laid out on the table in "handfulls" Apparently this is a unit of measurement at pig time... My father does his calculations and begins to salt the meat.

*Sweet chilli on the left, Hot chilli on the right. Grown from seed, dried and crushed by Dad. His chilli garden is something quite special.

*Aniseed...

*Wine. Nothing special, good old Rose in a goon bag is more than sufficient. Most of it drips out of the casings in the first couple of days.

*This is then mixed by hand on the table. We cook up a small portion to check for salt and heat. 9 out of 10 times, my dad gets everything spot on. Yesterday was one of those 9, by gosh he is good at this...
    *filled by hand. Casings are "ox runners" washed with salt and lemon earlier in the week. Pre tied the night before.

And we are done...

*They will take between 3 and 4 weeks to dry. It depends on the weather. Cold nights and clear days are what we are after. He uses a couple of pedistool fans to keep air circulating in the shed. he will now be a hermit until these are dry.

Can't wait to see the pics. Are you doing only sausages?

Yeah mate, and maybe 3 or 4 coppas. The bones all get cut up and bagged which we use as the base of our spaghetti sauce. me and my sister have to share the bones ;( . Last year i snuck a "money muscle" out of the shed for myself. Needless to say, my father was not impressed...

Ray, what do you plan to cook as you have only mentioned brisket and what sort of BBQ do you have at the moment?

eg do you intend to bake, pizza, sear steak, low and slow.

How many people do you want to regularly feed?

Also how much are you thinking of spending?

Depending on what you intend to do and what BBQ's you already own you may be better off buying two completely different BBQs.

At the moment, i have a Ziggy twin burner. I use a smoke box with chips. Water pan and I installed a WEBER air vent in the lid of my Ziggy to help get the temps down. When all set up, i can hold 108c -118c with no dramas. The issue is cooking space. If i had the cooking space, i would cook for as many people as possible. What would i cook?, EVERYTHING