Posts by Steman

I would go with definitely remove the Genesis as you say it's basically just gathering dust. The cyprus grill, all of that can be done over the fire pit really. Between the GMG & Masterbuilt you have charcoal cooking on the Steel keg so could keep the GMG for the slight different flavour profile. Both are set & forget essentially & as you say the Masterbuilt is newer so resale value will be higher.

I was in the exact same position as you this time 4 years ago. I had an akorn & had always wanted an offset. I had an offer come along for a 20 inch reverse flow that i couldn't turn down & i haven't looked back. I love it, granted i don't cook as much as i would like but life & money get in the way sometimes. I was always a fire bug as a kid & was playing with fire all the time so the extra time & effort that comes with the offset never put me off.

Yes it is a lot more commitment than a kamado as i can't leave the house longer than a quick run to the local shops or the fire goes out compared to the kamado where i had that dialed in i could go out for hours & not stress even without a fan aid.

If i could go back would i do it again, yes i would.

We used to have family BBQ's at one cousins place & i fondly remember the fire being way too hot that everything got charred to a crisp first round then they would start again after pouring a heap of water onto the flat plate to cool it down while also putting some of the fire out. But also plenty of family bbq's at a picnic with cooked snags on those bbq's

My local has some left. Trying to convince my old man to get one. They've just bought a new house & he wants to replace his BBQ and doesn't see the need for a hooded gasser as he never uses the hood for what it's meant to be used for.

There is a couple clubs / restaurants here that do stone grill lunch - taste great, and you can’t complain if it’s not cooked to you liking

You pay just about the same as to have a chef cook it 🤷‍♂️

I had one of those hot rock steaks years ago. It's just a gimmick. Can't get a sear on the steak. The steak sticks so every time it does sear it gets peeled off when you go to flip it. then eventually you've used all the surface of the rock so while the steak is cooking it's just going grey. Great for a bit of fun but if you like a paying for a proper cooked steak just get a normal one.

Had 3 mates over for dinner on Saturday so thought i'd cook almost 20kgs of meat for us to devour. 12kgs of brisket & 6kgs of pork collars. wasn't all to eat in one go obviously, offered the guys some leftovers to take home so they all jumped at it. all turned out as some of the best bbq ive done in a while. I think it helped the pit was full. Sadly i only got the one picture as i was too busy with everything else.

My parents have 6 chooks. We will usually walk away from their place with a dozen eggs most visits. They also give them away to other family members as well in exchange for scraps for the feed. But as you said cobblerdave the price of feed & point of lay chooks has gone up considerably. My dad has gone to the point of going to the local kindy when they have their egg hatching program to taking the leftover chicks to raise then give away the roosters sometimes. Works a treat for having tame birds but takes a while longer to get eggs.

As Bentley said be aware of kickback. My father in law had an accident with his where it kicked back & hit him in the face. Thankfully after a few surgeries the only reason you can tell it happened was he is missing a few teeth.

I use the air pump I've got for inflating the air mattress & kids blow up toys. Though i have used the wife's hair dryer once or twice before i got that