Posts by DevilsGrill

Got the Flaming Coals Tempmaster Pro hooked up and cooked 4 racks of beef short ribs last night. Controlled temps like a champ and is super easy to use. Didn't see more than a 2 degree variance throughout the 6 hour cook and it also cut down the startup time down to about 40 mins cold to cook temp.

No pics of the cook though unfortunately which was a shame as the ribs turned out great.

Making sausages can get get addictive and is a great versatile food that can be adapted endlessly to suit requirements.

Only downside (from a commercial perspective) is that no matter how good the product people still associate sausages as a lesser product and hence a hard sell. The ones I make cost about $18/kg to make so selling them is almost impossible yet I almost prefer them to a good steak.

Oh and another huge plus is not being welded to pellets for fuel as although sourcing pellets is not the headache it used to be charcoal is much more readily available and the GFC3000 has a chamber below the firebox large enough for a split or two so i don't have to buy fancy pre cut and expensive wood chunks for flavour and having a common fuel source across the rest of my BBQ's is easier to manage.

There's a number of things that in my opinion are improvements over over the Yoder. Firstly its box like multi rack design allows for much more usable cooking area over the traditional round smokers and the fact that is got 2" insulation should provide more consistent cook times all year around. I also like the fact the fire is in a separate chamber so I should be able to rig up my Smokai cold smoke generator more easily than with the Yoder and the cabinet style chamber means i'll, be able to hang meats & sausage which is a big bonus as ive been doing a lot of smoked charcuterie and sausage lately and frankly doing it in the YS1500 can be a pain in the arse.

As for the price it's all relative but there big deals to be had with this brand currently with around 40% off RRP and I bought mine from the place I work which also helps immensely as I wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise.

Looks like the company making them are these guys in Hungary https://www.bbq-pitbox.com/ who seem to be adding a few cosmetic changes specifically for ProQ.

So im moving away from the Yoder YS1500 and decided the next cooker should have as close to the set and forget convenience of pellet but with the ability to add a bit more smoke flavour when required along with the ability to do some cold smoking too so after looking around for a bit I landed a ProQ GFC3000.

This cooker ticks all the boxes I needed as well as being reasonably cheap (approx 1/2 the cost of the Yoder) and having inspected one up close the quality seems really good with a very solid feel to the unit so I dunno whats going on with the brand as it seems to be very heavily discounted at the moment so perhaps some models are being dropped from the catalogue.

Just need to get me a trailer so I can get it home!

Love pickled red onions. Here's my go to recipe..

2 red onions thinly sliced

2 cups red wine vinegar

1 TBSP salt

1 cup water

1 cup sugar

Mix ingredients & bring to boil

once boiling turn off heat and throw in onions and allow to cool

Hey all, landed a job at BBQ Spits & Rotisseries starting next week. After what was an incredibly bleak year catering wise here in Melbourne during most of 2020 some steady income sure will come in handy and the store is like the Willy Wonka factory to me so if anyone here happens to swing by pop in and say g'day.

Eggs & chicken? Who would have thought. Love the list of ingredients so why the hell not I suppose. Would make soon but it appears to be not the sort of thing you'd serve apart from special occasions so might pocket this one until something somewhat special rocks up .

Thanks for sharing.

A few weeks back I reheated 3 packer briskets for an event as I was short of cooking space so needed to do the beef and pork in advance. Short answer is it was some of the best brisket ive ever served.

Key to successful results are

1. Cook until nearly done and wrap tightly in multiple layers of foil
    2. Cool as quickly as possible 65+ - 21 in 2 hours & 21 to 5 in 4 hours (for food safety)
    3. Reheat as rapidly as possible to theoretically reach an internal temp of 75 (but I do mine to 65) and hold until ready to slice. I could well be the juiciest brisket youve ever made.

They look amazing and the chamber conversion seems brilliant. I gather just by the perfect look of the product that you have been curing for some time?

Thanks. Been curing various products for around 5 years now and for me was the natural progression from dry aging beef. It really aint that hard to do and can essentially be done just using the correct amount of salt (and sometimes acid like wine etc.)

Ive made it more complicated as I wanted to have total environmental control rather than relying on the temp and humidity of the basement/garage etc. so I can make it all year round.